 Off-Topic / Debate / 10983
Re: Libertarian Propaganda (was incorrectly referred to as SPAM elsewhere in the thread)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 16 Jun 2001 21:40:49 GMT

I have been playing too long in other branches of the tree and neglected to
give this post my special once over...

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Matthew Gerber writes:

(1) Prosecute government officials who commit crimes.

"McVeigh said he blew up the building in Oklahoma City to protest the
federal government's actions in Waco
"However, not a single FBI or BATF agent was arrested for their role
in the fiery deaths of 86 people at the Branch Davidian compound in
Waco, Texas.

If you do that, you take all of the reason out of having (paying for)
government agencies to police the citizens in the first place. If you think
the government is paralyzed by special-interest groups bitchin'-n-moanin'
about this neekid' mole rat or that rabid squirrel being endangered, wait
until they get to have a say in how this agency can act or how that agency
should have acted...'cause that's who would end up policing the police (even
more than they already do...).]

Let's skip Waco (Chris is dealing with your misconceptions about it just
fine). The general assertion is that government officials ought to be held
personally responsible when they mess up in big ways. Right now, when
government officials mess up, there might be a lawsuit, but that lawsuit is
against the government, not the officials (For example the lawsuits pending
against LA because of the Rampart corruption are against the City of LA
(which actually translates to "its taxpayers" because they get to pay) not
against specific people).

Are you saying that you think it is a bad idea to hold officals personally
responsible and liable?

I think it's a great idea! I want to see it true for both government AND
corporate officials. The system we have now means the taxpayers take it in
the shorts when their government screws up, with no recourse other than to
vote the officials out. So what? Too late by then.

(2) Embrace an open, vibrant political system.

"People tend to turn to violence only when they feel they have no
other way to be heard," said Dasbach. "It is the government's
responsibility, then, to make sure that political discussion is not
restricted, regulated, or suppressed.

"When Americans feel they have a role in the political system, they
will work through the political system to make productive changes. When
that avenue is blocked -- either by restrictive ballot access laws,
legal curbs on political speech, exclusion from debates, or by
attempting to discredit unpopular political speech -- the Timothy
McVeighs of the world turn to violence.

"That's why robust political debate -- especially about the abuse of
government power -- is a healthy way to change the system. And that's
why stifling such debate is downright dangerous."

And everyone is able to debate with (extremely) few exceptions...again, the
law of the land. There are other ways of expressing displeasure than killing
and violence.

I think you may be missing the point here, what is being alleged is that we
have a duopoly and that the Big Two stifle other parties and stifle open
debate. Do you agree or disagree with that assertion?

(3) Reject violence on principle.
<snip>

I actually agree with the above statement.  The United States is truly under
no obligation as an official entity to interviene in the affairs of other
countries. I also take that a step further and support the idea that our
resources and money should be solely targeted at our own country, and not
others. There is a difference between rendering humanitarian aid and putting
in place population controls, etc. In a touchy-feely sense, yes, it is nice
to work WITH all of the other countries in the world, but the US stance that
we must police those outside of our reach is a fallacy. Simply put, we have
far too many problems here at home to go out telling others what to do and
how to do it.

Right on!

(4) Repeal the Omnibus Anti-Terrorism Act of 1996.

"This legislation, rushed through Congress after the Oklahoma City
bombing, grants the president arbitrary power to declare individuals
'terrorists,' authorizes the use of secret evidence, and reverses the
presumption of innocence for suspects," said Dasbach. "Repealing this
law would expand freedom without hindering the ability to catch real
criminals.

"The freedoms recognized under the Bill of Rights are our strongest
bulwark against terrorism. Security measures that infringe on those
freedoms will inevitably lead to abuse, ultimately making us less
secure in our lives and property."

Eh, whatever. You can sit around all day imagining what someone is going to
do to you sometime and paralzing yourself from living, or you can get on
with life. Terrorism is a buzzword, and folks will support that which acts
on buzzwords. (If only there were an Omnibus Anti-Buzzword Act of 2001...I'd
never have to hear the terms 'paradigm', 'paradigm-shift', 'proactive', etc.
ever again! 8?) )

Not following you here, can you expand this? Do you favor laws that
circumvent the bill of rights like this one does? Or are you opposed to
them? Have things changed (in your view) so much that the bill of rights is
no longer applicable?

You can sit around all day and say "well this hasn't happened to me yet so I
don't have to worry about it" or you can dig in and see that there ARE
jackbooted thugs out there and they DO abuse the bill of rights all the
time. They just haven't come for YOU yet.

(5) Reduce the size and power of the federal government.

"No, we're not saying that the growing power of the federal government
justifies what Timothy McVeigh did," said Dasbach. "But the fact is,
millions of Americans view their own government with suspicion and
distrust.

"Americans see a government that can recklessly seize our property
under asset forfeiture, eminent domain, or environmental laws; that can
detain us at roadblocks for not wearing a seatbelt; that forces banks
to spy on their own customers; that shoots innocent people dead in the
name of the War on Drugs; that can secretly read our e-mail; that
allows the IRS to seize our bank accounts; and that can violate our
civil liberties in a thousand different ways.

These are all documented abuses of power, some of which are extremely
common... whether you agree that the size and scope of government ought to
be reduced is one question, but separate that, do you agree that these
abusive practices ought to be stopped or not? (that is, I'd rather that the
government wasn't in the electric power business, and I'd rather that it
didn't have jackbooted thugs either. I can tolerate the electric power gig
somewhat better than I can the jackbooted thug gig, though)

"A government that was limited to its Constitutionally defined role
would be smaller, less intrusive, and less threatening. It would be a
government that honors fundamental American liberties, instead of
undermining them. And it would be a government that gives Americans
little reason to view it with apprehension."

Yes and no. Yes, I support a smaller, less intrusive government. No, I don't
think it will decrease the violence. As we know from our own little
microcosm here at LUGNET-someone will always bitch about something at some
time. Besides, the 'violence' we are talking about in this instance is the
'visible' violence.

No, the violence this point is addressing is the violence that government
perpetrates on citizens.

I want cars to be safer, I want food to be healthier, I
want life to be more affordable. I'm not going to blame the government for
not handing me these things on a silver platter. I'm not going to kill
someone to get my point across or have myself heard. This applies to the
majority of Americans...not the infintesimile pecentage who might actually
do something violent. To blame the government that WE (well, those before
us, and before them, ad nauseum) created/allow to remain in power is
inherently wrong.

I don't think that's the point being made at all. Why do you think it is, I
missed that part.

Those five suggestions have something in common, said Dasbach: They
would all change the political climate in a positive way -- and make
future Timothy McVeighs less likely.

"We can never bring back the men, women, and children who were killed
in Oklahoma City," he said. "But by using this tragedy to honor and
reaffirm our nation's fundamental liberties, we can help make sure that
the 168 people who died in Oklahoma City did not die in vain. It would
be America's way of standing up and saying: 'Never again.' "

It is no more the LP's right, or anyone elses for that matter, to USE THIS
TRAGEDY!

Not sure I follow you here. If this event raises the level of discussion,
isn't it appropriate to have a viewpoint and share it?

That kind of liberal thinking is what keeps the LP a minor
Democratic offshoot rather than a true political power.

I think you might be a bit confused about where the LP fits in the scheme of
things. It's neither an offshoot of the donkeys nor of the elephants.

++Lar