 Off-Topic / Debate / 10960
Re: Libertarian SPAM (Propaganda)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 21:43:46 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
Scott A wrote:

Ethnic makeup has no relevance. That is the sum total of my point.

It does for the LP if it claims to aim to help all society.

So what you are saying is that someone of one ethnicity can't think up ideas
that benefit people outside of that ethnicity?

Scott, THINK about what you type before you do so, this is making you look
extremely stupid.

  Allow me to elucidate: the LP claims that it aims to help all society, yet
the overwhelming majority of LP members are middle class white males.  If,
as has been asserted, the LP really is (or will be at some indeterminate
future time) for the benefit of all, why is it that so few outside of the
core demographic have latched on to the party?  It would seem that, if the
party is indeed the best thing going re: personal freedom and benefit, then
everyone would join after a moment's reflection.  Since this is not the case
and (judging by the less-than-staggering voter support in any election to
date) isn't likely to be the case any time soon, then perhaps it is not the
perception of the LP that is flawed, but rather its agenda.
  I'm not claiming (and neither is Scott, and Bruce certainly is not) that
the Libertarian Party has a racist requirement, or even that LP members are
uniformly racist (some probably are, but probably most are not); I'm saying
that something in the LP's platform, agenda, makeup, history, or
self-presentation is flawed, whether the LP likes it or not.  If the LP
claims (and I don't know that it has--only that several proponents here have
suggested) that everyone who doesn't honor the LP's goals either doesn't get
it or is addicted to the government teat, then the LP will forever occupy
the enviable position of never having to make good on any of its plans,
since they'll never achieve a position of real influence.

I have already [demonstrated why the LP's demographic composition matters],
and Dave has too.

You haven't *demonstrated* squat, all you've done is make yourself look
stupid, and basically defamed any white person who has ever worked their ass
off for racial equality.

  It is not for the LP, nor any of its passionate proponents, to declaim
that the demographics of the party are not a problem--it is for society to
decide, and, given the tepid national support of the party, I'd say society
has made its decision known.
  In addition, since I appear to be one of the people in "you," I would take
issue with your claim that I've made myself look stupid.  I have (as Bruce
has done) observed that, while the validity of a group's message is
independent of that group's demographic makeup, the fact that so much of the
party is made up of middle class white males is provocative, considering the
fact that the party's agenda would be of particular benefit to middle class
white males.  If, in fact, the party's agenda does not unduly benefit middle
class white males, then it is in the party's interest to establish clearly
why this is not so, rather than simply saying "well, non-white-males will
benefit, but they just don't see it yet."
  Further, to infer some defamation of the efforts of activists, based on a
skewed reading of the reasonable and appropriate concerns about an
overwhelmingly white party, is inflammatory ad hominem rhetoric.
  If, on the other hand, I was not intended as part of "you," then retract
my indignation.  8^)

     Dave!