 Off-Topic / Debate / 10959
Re: Libertarian SPAM (Propaganda)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 21:43:22 GMT

Preventing racism and requiring it are both meddling.

I pointed out the real difference between your two examples - you
consistently refuse to address it.

Did you? Haven't denied that businesses, given the chance,
will play a game that *allows* for them to get unfair advantage in such a
way that they *do* get unfair advantage. I prefer to change the game rules
so that no one business can get unfair advantage written into law.

I don't see how fair or unfair advantage relates to racism in relation to
the Jim Crow laws or current discrimination cases.

Suppose I wanted to start a bus line that let people sit where they would.
If the state government enforces laws that prevent me from doing so, and
thus securing competitive advantage in the market I choose to serve over a
bus line that requires segregation, is not that an unfair barrier to entry?

The scenario in regards to Jim Crow is the state government gave you an
excuse to allow the segregated busing you wanted (you not being you
personally), not the example you provide above.  You are clinging to a
distortion that wasn't how the situation really was.

If, further, armed thugs come by and torch my bus garage and the state denys
me protection and refuses to prosecute the arsonists, is that not an unfair
barrier to entry?

I can't really address this because it wasn't what I was talking about, as I
pointed out previously.

The bus monopoly would have fell without the need for antidiscrimination
laws if the laws requiring discrimination were struck down and if the
lawkeepers did their job or suffered the personal consequences of not doing so.

The effects of Jim Crow would still have been there without the laws, so
this example is really neither here nor there.  I was talking about
government protection FROM racism, not local laws in FAVOR of them.  You
wish to remove the laws AGAINST racism.

You still need to show that allowing free association and choosing who to do
business with is in and of itself unjust or that it is likely to lead to
unrest.

I already showed it: the civil rights movement.

Don't see it, sorry.

You didn't live through the 50's and 60's I take it.

No, don't try and palm it
off as something Jim Crow laws foisted onto businesses - those business
interests behind the Jim Crow laws were effectively trying to achieve
exactly what you are talking about.  If you don't understand this, I can
only say it illustrates the reason why the Libertarian Party is mostly white
males.

And I can only say that your understanding (of what a free market actually
is) is flawed and we should agree to disagree.

Okay, actually read my paragraph (and preceeding sentence) above and
actually answer it this time rather than go with the best defense is a good
offense tactics.

And you are incorrect in your statement above.  If you want to say that I'm
not really in favor of a *truly* free market, then you would have a leg to
stand on (at least I explained my reasons why).  Don't tell me I don't
understand a truly free market when I haven't even addressed the issue.  You
refuse to address the point and keep restating it in terms that are more
comfortable for you but not at all what I said.  So, on that basis, yes, we
have to agree to disagree.  But the Libertarian Party sticking its
collective head in the sand over this is its continued doom, so I'm not the
one being hurt by it.

Bruce