 Off-Topic / Debate / 10953
Re: Libertarian SPAM (Propaganda)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 21:14:27 GMT

But companies would want well-educated employees no matter WHERE they came
from, and would most likely contribute on both the local AND national level.

For a simple, real world example, look at Silicon Valley as a whole - finding
qualified individuals in the US is getting extremely hard, so a very large
number of the new hires are from India.  The money involved in getting someone
from India hired is immense after you factor in all the visa problems (and
don't say that they're hiring those people at a pittance, it's not happening
with the cost of living out here).  I think most companies would much rather
invest that money in schooling to KNOW that they'd have an adequate hiring base
without tons of legal red tape.  The problem is convincing them to take that
longterm view.  But if some of the LP views were taken and implemented in
government, I have a hope that that would happen.

Dave Schuler wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:

This is ploughed ground, but I'll revisit it. First, I think there would
be a good amount of support for schools for the underpriviledged. In
fact, in a free market, companies ought to want to support schools for
all. Why? The more educated your populace is, the larger and more
productive your market.

  That's not a bad assessment, but I think it applies more at the national
level than at the level of any sub-national business or industry.  Ploughed
ground, to be sure, but to date the Libertopian argument hasn't been
convincingly put forth.

     Dave!