 Off-Topic / Debate / 10952
Re: Libertarian SPAM (Propaganda)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 21:14:08 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Shiri Dori writes:
<snip>

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
Heck, ultimately these reasons are probably the
ONLY reasons we have the public school system we have now.

Nitpicking here - that's not true. The public school system and the
requirement to attend it were formed in the late 19th century. The general
public wanted kids out of the cheap working force, because they were
depressing wages for everyone.

Fascinating! Do you have a cite for that? Should be interesting reading.

Here's info for England: http://twist.lib.uiowa.edu/wompoet/resources.html

"1870 Education Act for England (one for Scotland followed soon after)
established a national system of primary schools for children up to age 12;
in 1880 attendance at primary school was made mandatory."

I can't find anything on America...maybe we never really had to go at all in
the first place! I may have to give up my title.

Matt (Possibly the Former Self-Proclaimed LUGNET King of Citing Stuff ©)