 Off-Topic / Debate / 10904
Re: Libertarian SPAM (Propaganda)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 15:41:11 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Duane Hess writes:

Why does LUGNET (in general) attract well educated white males? From my
observations, Larry is right. LUGNET does not represent the statistical
make-up of the countries in which it resides. Is this due to education?
Economical status? Genetics? Lunar phase? Who knows?

The LP is probably like LUGNET in that it attracts a certain kind of person,
who just happens to be the higher educated white male.

  Are you implying a causative relation between higher education and some
realization that the Libertarian Party is the "correct" path?  I'm not
trying to misread you, but I want to understand if this is what you're
asserting.
  Regardless (and this is the point that Bruce, Scott, and I are
contesting), LUGNET doesn't push an agenda for achieving a "better" nation.
LUGNET's aims are, by its tiny and focused nature, confined to its own
domain, namely a part-time hobby of a small number of individuals.  The LP,
however, *does* have an agenda for the nation, and, in that light, the
wildly skewed demographic of the LP is an appropriate issue to investigate.
  Again, let me state clearly that the demographic makeup of any group is
independent of the validity or nonvalidity of that group's philosophy, but
if such a group has its sights on national reform, and if something about
the aims of that group seems to attract a very particular type of
individual, then it is not inappropriate to wonder about correlation between
the aims of the group and the benefits to that type of individual (or the
detriment to other types of individual).

Is this discriminatory? No, because there doesn't seem to be a conspiracy to
keep anyone out.

  It's interesting that you use the disclaimer "doesn't seem," but that's a
rhetorical sidebar.  In any case, I see your point. As another example, it
is generally true that "blacks" in a cafeteria will sit together in one area
and "whites" will sit together in another.  This isn't discrimination either
(barring "whites only" segregation nonsense); it simply reflects the choices
of individuals to sit near those with whom they identify in some way.

It just means that a certain type of individual is attracted to the
organization.

  Again, though--if the organization has an agenda at the national level,
and if that certain type of individual is attracted to the the organization
due to its national agenda, it is appropriate to wonder why certain groups
would favor such a national agenda while other groups do not.  Racism and
discrimination are not necessarily present, but the demographic imbalance is
at the very least conspicuous.

Just because I participate in a community where people who look, act and
think like me reside, doesn't mean that it's a racist community. It just
means that we tend to attract people who look, act and think like us.
Sometimes the simple answer is the right one....

  As they say, every complicated problem has a simple solution, and it's
wrong.  Don't be too hasty to insist that a problem isn't a problem simply
because the rhetoric can be spun.  And it *is* a problem, since the LP,
presumably, hopes to achieve national significance in a nation made up of
more than "the higher educated white male."

     Dave!