 Off-Topic / Debate / 10887
Re: Libertarian SPAM (Propaganda)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 08:40:14 GMT

Since I share Bruce's misgivings on this subject, I'll mention a few
thoughts, too.  The validity or invalidity of the LP's views is, of course,
wholly independent of the racial, cultural, age, or gender makeup of the
party, but that's not what Bruce appears (to me) to be disputing.  My
feeling, and the feeling of many others, is that the message of the group is
apparently favorable to white males if white males are the principal
proponents of the message.  If, as the LP press packet indicates, the
Libertarian agenda is truly the best plan for every man, woman, and child,
then why is it that only white males latch onto it?  If the problem is
simply one of exposure (which I do not believe to be the case), then the LP
needs to make its presence known so that the non-white-male populace can see
the benefits of the party.

I suspect that Bruce isn't simply dismissing the LP's platform as a white
supremacist construct; he has noted its shortcomings and sees in those
shortcomings something that the white male constituency identifies as
expressly beneficial to them.  The supposition is that, if it were the
greatest good for all, then all would be eager to join.

Let's dig into that a bit... Is that an accurate supposition? That is, *are*
there things that are "good for you" that you wouldn't necessarily choose to do?

We know that's true in the individual case, right? I know that exercising
more and eating less meat isn't something that I easily choose, or favor,
even though it *may well be* good for me. But maybe I'm not carrying out the
analysis to actually see the deeper or more long term benefit.

Is that individual example extendable to the aggregate? I dunno.

Let's go back to the SCLC example. The changes that the SCLC advocated in
society were good for society, right? Yet they weren't popular across all
segments. Those changes may have benefitted (at least at first glance) some
segments more than others, right?

And those were the segments that disproportionally supported the SCLC,
right? But was the first glance benefit the real benefit in the long run? I
would say no. The vitriolic effect of segregation was corroding all of
society and all of society benefited when it was removed from force of law.

Is that a valid example? Is it extensible?

I have no idea what the SCLC is, so I have no real opinion on it.

If we look at what libertarians advocate and say "well it seems to be
supported by white males, mostly", what can we conclude (as *necessarily*
true) from that? That they are the only beneficiaries?

One could argue that you are using your memebership fee to invest in a
Libertarian future. Your fellow members may hope for a return on that
investment in the longer or shorter term. Why to only white males feel it is
worth investing in that future? Why? Is it because it will beifit them more?
Perheps non-white males feel excuded? Perhaps they are just not intersest in
a return to segragation?

Scott A

That doesn't follow.
That they even ARE beneficiaries? That doesn't follow (necessarily) either.

++Lar