 Off-Topic / Debate / 1083
Re: A summation? (was Re: Gun debate (was Re: New Web Page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 31 May 1999 17:49:10 GMT

On Wed, 19 May 1999 13:55:11 GMT, Christopher L. Weeks uttered the following
profundities...
discussed recently anyway), but folks in general?  Why is it completely
obvious to me (right or wrong) that the right to own weaponry is
essential to _all_ other freedoms, but not to everyone else?  I say
completely obvious because it doesn't even feel like an opinion - it
feels like a truth.  (Maybe that's why I won't change my mind.)  I

Because to some (not necessarily me, I am not stating my true
beliefs until I have read all posts), gun ownership can
restrict freedom. By which I mean that one does not only have
to fear the criminals with the guns. "But he was such a nice,
unassuming guy," said the neighbour after the gunman ran amok.
How well do you really know your neighbours, work colleagues,
etc. One need not only fear that someone next door may go
nuts, but also accidental shootings. What would be the outcry
if I, not owning a gun, were robbed, a family member injured,
and in a panic and shock, run next door for help? And that
neighbour, fearing I was someone bad, and shot me? A perhaps
silly or unlikely scenario.....
richard.dee@nospam.virgin.net remove nospam.(lugnet excepted)
Web Site:   http://freespace.virgin.net/richard.dee/lego.html
ICQ 13177071                  AOL Instant Messenger: RJD88888
For the best Lego news, visit:    http://www.lugnet.com/news/
Need instructions for a model?       http://www.kl.net/scans/