 Off-Topic / Debate / 1081
Re: Gun debate (was Re: New Web Page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 31 May 1999 17:48:59 GMT

On Fri, 14 May 1999 14:37:11 GMT, Duane Hess uttered the following
profundities...
Guns kill, that was their design intent. I agree with the right to bear arms
though. That was a right written into the Constitution and I will support it.

But is in itself an amendment. Other rights and issues have
been amended, reinforced, clarified, etc. (and one repealed).
One observation, and I am not specifically attacking the 2nd
amendmant. No one here seems to think that the BoR needs,
requires, or should be in anyway, at anytime, be re-evaluated.
In this particular example, the 2nd amendmant, is that, an
amendmant. I don't know if any subsequent amendmants applied
specifically to the 1st 10, but does not necessarily mean
that they should be regarded as the final word on the matter.(1)

Historical events, social changes, etc. change values, needs,
and desires of a society. (This statement, in light of
statements made by all, suggests both justification and
clarification for both camps in relation to #2). And in light
of the rampant paranoia :)(justified? Maybe, maybe not), that
Americans seem to feel about their government, at the very
least to further ensure and guarantee rights.

(1) The slavery abolishment issues and relevant amendmants,
as well as sufferage. Where is slavery justified or supported,
and the slaves' lack of rights? The original document, or the
BoR? And "universal(2)" sufferage?

(2) Shouldn't children be able to vote? Criminal culpability
starts at 14? So why not vote from that age? Why not foreigners
living in a country? Their ties may be to their homeland, but
live, work, & contribute to their adoptive homes. Why not be
able to vote on issues, and for politicians that endorse issues,
that affect them as much as the next person? (3)

(3) An individual of foreign-birth cannot run for president. Does
it apply to the child of 2 American parents born overseas? What
of someone who has moved to the states with their families as
a child? My observations of some people in that situation is
that they are more "American" than many 2nd- or more generation
Americans!
richard.dee@nospam.virgin.net remove nospam.(lugnet excepted)
Web Site:   http://freespace.virgin.net/richard.dee/lego.html
ICQ 13177071                  AOL Instant Messenger: RJD88888
For the best Lego news, visit:    http://www.lugnet.com/news/
Need instructions for a model?       http://www.kl.net/scans/