 Off-Topic / Debate / 1074
Re: Gun debate (was Re: New Web Page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 30 May 1999 22:42:33 GMT

On Fri, 28 May 1999 13:51:58 GMT, "Christopher L. Weeks"
<c576653@cclabs.missouri.edu> wrote:
Jasper Janssen wrote:

Redefine the [friggin'] Second, then. Include the amount of training and
how selective it can be.

Whoops. Musta thought I was still in alt.peeves (where I am currently
also involved in a gun-control thread that is, at last count,
something on the order of 1000 messages and growing...).

IF you mean that the constitution should be amended so that the right to
keep and bear arms is dependent on some very specific training, then I
agree with your method of making that change (as opposed to just passing
laws that violate the constitution).

Well, yeah. I mean, however much _anyone_ may or may not agree with
the constitution, it is there for a reason, and altering it was made
difficult for a reason (though it is _exceptionally_ difficult over
with you folks - no wonder it stands virtually unchanged for 200
years).

But, I disagree that such an
amendment should take place.  I like the second right where it is.

Actually.. I don't really think one should ban guns in the US.
_Slightly_ more heavy restrictions would be a good thing, IMHO,
though.

Just as long as you don't force guns on me or my country, I can deal
just fine with not forcing you to give them up.

Just don't make it another driving license, for which virtually nobody
ever fails..

Yes, that would be pointless.  But, IMO, it is the most likely outcome
of such a move.  On 6 April 99 Missourians barely decided not to enact a
concealed carry law, but if it had passed, it would have require
something like twelve hours of training, and really it wouldn't have
much changed (in my opinion again) peoples' abilities to bear arms
responsibly.  I think this would have been analogous to a driver's license.

Indeed. By the way, contrast this, if you will, with the .nl driving
licence: On average, it takes about 2.5 tests and 30-40 hours of
practical training to get the practical exam right. The theoretical
exam is a lot more easy, at least if your memory works like mine. I've
also seen people who had to take _that_ one 6 or 7 times, though.

Jasper