 Off-Topic / Debate / 10672
Re: Rolling Blackouts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2001 02:39:19 GMT

Shiri Dori wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher Tracey writes:
Chris, you never cease to amaze me. :)

Chris's in general never cease to amaze me... <grin>... and you two both
just did.

IMO, The automobile is arguably the greatest threat to environmental and
social quality, and is probably one of the most subsidized sectors of
the world's economy.

Arguably? *Arguably*?! I mean, show me anything else with greater threat.

I don't know...  nuclear weapons, rogue asteriods, monsanto corporation,
Planet Lunch(tm), the juniorasation of LEGO. ;)

I was able to explain and demostrate this point to
some of my students this past term and I had several people tell me that
they never thought about it that way before.  It gave me a glimmer of
hope.

<nod> I wish the government(s... all over the world) would invest in cheaper
public transportation and promote it. When it is cheaper for a family of 4
to take a train from, say, Boston to Cape Cod, that's when we'll see actual
results.... dropping accident rates, dropping energy waste, dropping
pollution rates, decrease in man-time spent in traffic jams, decrease in
expenditure on *better* highways, *bigger* interstates, *faster* cars...

you forgot the *more* :)  I take the train pretty often.  I wish it was
cheaper and faster as well.  A few years back... I was going back and
forth between pittsburgh and DC(actually VA) pretty often.  I started
taking the bus (~$60 round trip- 5 hours each way) for a few trips, but
switched to the rails (~$90 round trip- 6 hours each way) because they
were more comfortable (and not to mention cooler :).  I think the trains
biggest problem is the time factor.  For example- Toledo, OH to Little
Rock, AR is 20 hours vs 14 hours via car.  Whenever I go to AR, I try to
take the train, but it's a pain to take what seems like an extra day.
And the train is pretty much my only option since I have a fear of
flying.

(need I even *mention* the Big Dig (in Boston), which has cost taxpayers a
few *billions* so far and it's not even done? That's one of the biggest
debates around here.)

What I would like to see is the price of car insurance included
in the price of gas.  Then it would be fairer to the person who drives a
100 miles a month and to the person who spends 30 times that on the
road.  That would probably require some sort of universal id card
though.

Wow, *cool* idea! That's really smart. But actually, the person who would
actually spend 30 times more time would (on average) also be that much more
experienced, dontcha think? Or... maybe not.

I hope so...