 Off-Topic / Debate / 10668
Re: Rolling Blackouts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 3 Jun 2001 16:35:19 GMT

Thanks for those (pretty scary) factoids! They argue that the true cost of
meat is a LOT higher than we are actually paying because the producers are
- using subsidised grazing
- using subsidized feed
- not paying for the pollution they cause (water, air, etc.)
- and worst... not paying the ecosystem destruction costs of third world
clearcut grazing

because we are in a mixed economy where a lot of the indirect costs never
get assessed.

Indeed. I think our country needs to shift from the old paradigm of "a steak
a day" kind of attitude. We overdose on meat! One of the most startling
figures is the drastic jump in heart disease cases with the Japanese (who
acquired a post war taste for steaks and burgers).

Are you personally vegetarian Dan? I've tried it but I can't stick, I just
love a good juicy steak... How did you cut over?

Yes, I'm what you call a part time vegetarian. I do eat dairy products and
eggs but I specifically buy eggs from free range chicken farms and
hormone/pesticide free milk. I was a meat eater most of my life, a steak or
burger every day. In high school, I would eat five regular burgers a day.
When I started junior college, I took a holistic health course and learned
the truth about meat and dairy products in our country. Also, I learned
about the inhumane treatment of animals and I decided to make the change. Do
I like meat? Yes, and I have accepted that eating animal flesh is fine so
long as the animal was raised in a humane and healthy fashion and
slaughtered mercifully. I agree with hunting for food (I'm from Michigan and
there's a lot of deer hunting) but the kill should be made with one shot and
the prey mustn't suffer. But I don't agree with wholesale, inhumane
slaughter and filthy agricultural practices. My advice to anyone who eats
meat is not buy it from your regular grocier. Find an Islamic store that
sells Halal meat. This meat is sure to have been from a healthy, humanely
raised and slaughtered animal. Also, make meat a side dish, not a mian
course. Save your heart and arteries the undue wear :)

Dan