 Off-Topic / Debate / 10646
Re: Rolling Blackouts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 12:28:19 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher Tracey writes:
Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Works fine for resources that are fixed (Grazing lands, timber stands,
etc... as an aside I think a lot of the overgrazing, overlogging and
overirrigating in the US (which is shameful!) is directly caused by the fact
that the land being grazed or logged or the water being used to irrigate is
government owned, and thus the true costs aren't being passed through to the
users. 10 cents a head a day to graze a cow??? I don't think that sounds
like a true cost).

Aren't there corporate lobbies that want grazing (continuing with your
example) prices that low?  I'm not sure you can place all the blame on
the goverment.

I'm not sure I was. :-)

Put it this way, if you have a system in which government influence can have
more economic impact than competing in the market, and in which large
companies can effectively change what it is that government influences for
low costs relative to the economic benefit to them... if you have such a
system, is it the "fault" of the *government* for being powerful, the
"fault" of the *companies* for trying to influence, or the fault of the
system *as a whole*?

I would tend to say the latter. Rational people will tend to operate within
the rules of the system to maximise their personal (or corporate) benefit.
That does not make them bad, per se. If the system leads to bad outcomes,
it's the rules of the game that are bad, not the players.

I think you have just highlighted one of the biggest problems with modern
society. By that, I mean the increasingly common belief that just because an
action is within the written law it must be ~OK~. I think this is quite
wrong. Loopholes do not exist to be exploited, they exist to be closed (i.e.
If the rules lead to bad outcomes – the players should change the rules –
not exploit them).

Scott A

++Lar