 Off-Topic / Debate / 10434
Re: Why the founding fathers limited government scope (was Re: Rolling Blackouts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 12 May 2001 08:58:36 GMT

Dave Schuler wrote:

  It seems to me that any well-funded, organized, national military force
can, if a clear objective is established and a goal is set, wreak terrible
destruction upon a nation defended only by a voluntary (and, by extension of
your apparent views, privately-funded) militia.

Oh, I don't know. I thought we settled that issue 226 (1) years ago...
And I don't think that's the only data point available to us either.

  I knew someone was going to say that.  The nature of war, you'll agree,
has changed so fundamentally in 226 years that there's no point in comparing
them.  Planted pikes will stop a cavalry charge, but who cares, if you're
bombing a nation from a thousand miles away?
  Lindsay can correct me if I'm wrong, but the resources and time required
to move ordnance from Mother England to the Colonies were somewhat different
from today's world, not to mention communication problems.  It is impossible
to compare the difficulty of fighting a pre-industrial age war (on distant
foreign soil) with an organized, modern, technologically advanced, national
military force attacking a sporadically organized, privatized, and volunteer
army.

While I agree in general, Afghanistan did pretty well against Russia.

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/