 Off-Topic / Debate / 10323
Re: Rolling Blackouts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2001 13:34:20 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott P. Costello writes:
For the second time I have now been victim of California's rolling
blackouts. The first experience was a few months ago at home, and now today
5/8/01 here at work. For those of you not experiencing this wonderful
phenomenon, it really sucks! This is just the tip of the iceberg, what is it
going to be like come July or August when power demand is really high due to
high temperatures? Our idiot govenor Gray Davis has done nothing but spend
one billion dollars to buy power, this is the equivelant of puting a
band-aid on a bazooka wound. All the stupid politicians out here can seem to
talk about is price caps. While I am sitting here in the dark, I would be
willing to pay a few bucks more to actually have consistant power. Here at
my work we are a website, so we just shut down for about an hour. Granted
this all seems somewhat trivial in the face of other global issues, but this
problem was preventable if our predicessors had even bothered.

   True.  The problem is that you can't buy power that there's no
   generating capacity for.  The issue is more that California's
   power infrastructure sucks, as you point out:

Here are a few key facts:
1. In the USA, California is dead last in energy production per capita 50
out of 50
2. In the USA, California is first in conservation per capita.

   I had always been under the impression that California had been
   putting up big ol' farms covered with turbine windmills, taking
   advantage of one resource (wind) that California's position gives
   it *plenty* of.  But of course the capital investment per KwH
   output for wind power is higher than, IIRC, any other form, so
   of course companies won't invest in it.

Believe me the solution is not conservation, we are doing that. The answer
is also not to blow the entire budget on state run power. I doubt a
realistic motion to impeach govenor Davis would amount to anything by next
year, but I sure hope the next guy does a better job.

   Likewise.  It's also not just a point of lifting price caps,
   it's a matter of lifting construction and generation restrictions
   on power sources that are technically cleaner than oil, gas, and
   coal--I still maintain that nuclear power is safest, despite our
   horror and fear over accidents when they do happen, much as we
   have grave horror over air crashes when cars kill more per day
   than air mishaps do in a year.  It's scale rather than numbers.

And here I thought I did not live in a third world nation.

   You don't, you just live in a third world state.  ;)

   best

   LFB