 Off-Topic / Debate / 1024
Re: Terms and Conditions Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 23 May 1999 22:50:45 GMT

<374838F6.FDB2A443@uswest.net> <FC7E9M.LGA@lugnet.com>

Ed Jones wrote:

Not at all.  I am tolerant, that is my point.  I just get a little agitated • when
private matters become public.  On a one to one level, a gay person and I can
relate unconditionally.  And have.  When I see film of gay pride/celebration
parades in San Francisco [1], I am disgusted by the behavior, as I bet many • gays
are as well.  Because they (the parades) IMO are *not* about being gay; it's
about something else.

[1] I am disgusted with the debauchery of Mardi Gras, too.

Blame that on the media, not the parades.  The media chooses the most bizaare
people they can find in the parade to put on the news - furthering negative
attitudes against gays. Just once I'd like the see the news media show the real
participants in gay pride parades - Aids activists/care personnel, local gay
groups, sports groups, health care workers, parents of gays, gays who have
adopted children with health problems, gay teachers, gay police/fireman/etc.,
bands and choruses.  Nudity and drag are a minute minority of gay pride
parades.

I'll take your word on that since I have never actually seen such a parade, but
media portrayals of them.

You say that the parades are about something else.  What else?

Well, I was referring to the nudity and drag aspects.  That to me is merely carnal
expression promoting promiscuous and pernicious behavior that has no place in
public, whether it be a gay parade or Mardi Gras. They are IMO more destructive to
the gay cause than gay bashers who, in their stupidity such as in Montana,
actually IMO advance the gay cause by highlighting the insanity of such intolerant
behavior.

-John