 Off-Topic / Debate / 1025
Re: Terms and Conditions Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 24 May 1999 00:40:56 GMT

John Neal <johnneal@uswest.net> wrote:
Blame that on the media, not the parades.  The media chooses the most bizaare
people they can find in the parade to put on the news - furthering negative
attitudes against gays. Just once I'd like the see the news media show the real
participants in gay pride parades - Aids activists/care personnel, local gay
groups, sports groups, health care workers, parents of gays, gays who have
adopted children with health problems, gay teachers, gay police/fireman/etc.,
bands and choruses.  Nudity and drag are a minute minority of gay pride
parades.

I'll take your word on that since I have never actually seen such a parade, but
media portrayals of them.

I can actually vouch for that.  I was visiting a friend and his wife
in MD in 1993 and we went down to DC during that huge rally they had
down there.  Lots and lots of perfectly normal-looking people.

Quite a few wackos, but nowhere near the majority you would expect for
them to be shown again and again as if they were the only ones there.

--
Lego Shop at Home: 800-835-4386 (USA) / 800-267-5346 (Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news/ - A great new resource for LEGO fans worldwide