 Off-Topic / Debate / 10026
Re: A question of remembrance...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 08:44:45 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:
So did Braveheart, while we're at it, though as a history story it is only
slightly more accurate than Mr. Peabody's time travels with Sherman.

WHAT!!! You mean those time travels were made up?! Boy, and to think that I
cited those adventures in several college essays! Oops! ;^p

But your point remains; these are perceived by many as biographically true
portrayals of events, and people often base their conclusions on what they
see on the big screen. Clash of the Titans didn't win many awards, but I
recall trying to convince people IN COLLEGE that Perseus, according to the
tale, did *not* ride Pegasus to slay the Kraken.  Ah, well.

Doh! That didn't really happen either?! Wow, I'm batting real low here.

Yep, there's a lot of "true" stuff that isn't really true, in Hollywood and
even about Hollywood. Bogart never said "Play it again Sam," Jimmy Cagney
never said "You dirty rat," and Sherlock Holmes never said "Elementary my
dear Watson" in the Doyle books. But the general American public has come to
rely too much on Hollywood to alter and sensationalize history to the point
that fact and fiction become blurred.

The probelm is we are all to lazy or "busy" to read a book/s about these issues.

Scott A

Dan