 Off-Topic / Debate / *4206 (-10)
  Re: Ok Larry: US vs Canadian Discounts

(...) this (...) I can't really say anything one way or another regarding what Larry has said about the types of markets..., it seems to make sense, but economics tends to stretch my 10 s attention span a little too far :] Now that I think about it (...) (25 years ago, 8-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Tell us (was: Found Discounted 5978; and Clearance Question)

(...) After reading that, I'd hafta agree with you... Especially that last sentence. Darn it, I'm moving to the States! Bryan (25 years ago, 7-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ok Larry: US vs Canadian Discounts

(...) And you thought I wouldn't like your answer! Nothing there I disagree with, although I don't think regulation has too much to do with, in the end, whether an older Lego set is discounted by 15% rather than 50%. I think I'll pose this question (...) (25 years ago, 7-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ok Larry: US vs Canadian Discounts

See my reply to Erin... It's the standard libertarian dogmatic answer. :-) (...) (25 years ago, 7-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Tell us (was: Found Discounted 5978; and Clearance Question)

(...) Well, in my opinion, the US is a more market driven economy and so stores are more concerned with financial results. Managers are managed more on effective use of capital, and less on compliance with government regulations. Also, the US (...) (25 years ago, 7-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Ok Larry: US vs Canadian Discounts

Actually, Larry, I am interested in your take on the types of discounts that stores offer during a sale. For the benefit of other readers, we Canadians (at least on the West Coast) had lamented that we only occasionally see 10% - 15% mark-downs for (...) (25 years ago, 7-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Tell us (was: Found Discounted 5978; and Clearance Question)

(...) Ok, why are the US stores seem to be more concerned with moving merchandise out and why they can afford to give steeper discounts? (Note: If you say something incredibly horrible, disgusting, shocking, vulgar, I will not lash out at you, cuz I (...) (25 years ago, 7-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: "Justice Probes eBay for Antitrust"

Susan Olson wrote in message ... (...) the (...) Certainly eBay owns the format and technology that makes the listings possible. Certainly the seller owns the text used to describe the item. But certainly eBay can not be forced to give away the (...) (25 years ago, 7-Feb-00, to lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: "Justice Probes eBay for Antitrust"

William A. Swanberg wrote in message ... (...) thing: (...) If the DOD hadn't allowed the internet to expand beyond the government, it would have just delayed the internet for a while. By the time the internet started to be useful, Usenet was (...) (25 years ago, 7-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: 4558 doors(x4) for exchange

(...) This post was to trainheads, most of us don't mind being spammed with metroliner parts for trade! James P (25 years ago, 6-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact