 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 922 (-20)
  Re: Something interesting in the mech world...

(...) I actually like K'nex; for a different building system, it ain't so bad. At least they were bold enough to recognize the market for build-your-own-mech toys. Lego is still riding high off of their SW contract, but I suspect that will run dry (...) (23 years ago, 1-Aug-01, to lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: Something interesting in the mech world...

(...) Right Steve...that'll goad them into action for sure...I'm sure we'll all see the Robotech LEGO sets *any day now*... 8?) Matt (23 years ago, 1-Aug-01, to lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

I hear Ken rolling around in his grave. :-) -- Nicole wife of Kenneth A. Drumm Ph.D. "Matthew Gerber" <matthew@digitaliris.com> wrote in message news:GHEK9G.BB4@lugnet.com... (...) see? (...) line. (...) the (...) a (...) (23 years ago, 1-Aug-01, to lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: Something interesting in the mech world...

(...) What a load of rubbish the K'nex product is. It looks like trash. This must be their answear to the successful Star Wars line. Lego should retaliate with a Robotech/Macross line. I'd love a Lego Destroid Monster or a YF-19. The worst thing (...) (23 years ago, 1-Aug-01, to lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Something interesting in the mech world...

AARRGGHH! Must resist, can't, but I must! nooo...ooo! Muahahahahaha! cries the K-nex emperor! I have you now! you can not escape! NOOOOOO! Must-not-buy-stupid-K-nex! But it is so frickin cool! AHHHHH I hate you Lego! why couldn't you have done (...) (23 years ago, 1-Aug-01, to lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: Something interesting in the mech world...

I read about this in an issue of ToyFare a month or so ago. There was a picture of the Timber Wolf/Mad Cat model, and it did look good. Travis Dickinson (...) (23 years ago, 1-Aug-01, to lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Something interesting in the mech world...

Hey Mechyfriends, So...I was in Toys "backwards-facing-R" Us the other day, and what do I see? K*Nex has secured the Mechwarrior license (Microsoft owns that line now, right?), and has produced (what I HATE to admit) a really good looking line. (I (...) (23 years ago, 1-Aug-01, to lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  L3G0 reference

Someone once asked me to find the info which I had on Lego clones...from Readers Digest, dated Aug 1989 (Canadian English Ed) "Though the original Lego brick was based on a British prototype, the company bristles at imitators. A South Korean firm (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: Nifty clone MOC's (not mine)

Thanks for your appreciation notes Dave.I have had a lot of fun making these models out of MEGA BLOKS bricks.Having been a fierce LEGO builder for the past 31 years, it didn't mind to much to me to be offered a job as an advanced designer for a (...) (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: A nice summer surprise

(...) Hamfests (events where ham or amateur radio enthusiasts gather, not places to find the latest scoop on cured pork) often have a "tailgating" area which is basically the same thing, though semi-formalized (it's usually free or just a few (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build, lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: A nice summer surprise

all true.. we have a few regular car boot sales here in Cardiff wales as people do all over the UK, depending on the weather, usually 100 - 300 cars full of old junk (some people will buy anything...really) and some fantastic gems. The beauty is if (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build, lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: A nice summer surprise

(...) Fellow 'Muricans (and Britons): Here's a useful idiom-digger for US/UK idioms. Who knows, it may help save a life (or avoid a head scratching): (URL) But in short, "binning" = pitching/tossing/---...g/throwing out; "car boot sale" has no (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build, lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: A nice summer surprise

(...) James, My English ain't so good. Please translate: "car boot sale" and "binning" Thanks Bob (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build, lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: A nice summer surprise

Dave, I agree with you completely. One other thing is that clones offer some interesting options for your creations that you can't find in Lego. Paul (...) :) (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: A nice summer surprise

(...) LEGO® has done plenty to undermine its good name on its own, thankyouverymuch, and the presence of a viable competitor can only serve to remind LEGO® that market solvency is by no means assured. I don't mind or refute that LUGNET-at-large is a (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build, lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: A nice summer surprise

(...) A good reminder! Thank you for the olive branch, but I should assure you that no offense was taken. There's nothing wrong with being passionate about one's hobby! (Let me say in advance that I wrote another message in this thread that hasn't (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: A nice summer surprise

(...) Sorry everyone, I haven't been practicing what I preach. To Dave and everyone else, "to each his own". Enjoy what you will, that's what we're here for. -Harvey (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: A nice summer surprise

(...) Heh. Well, all I can say is that I've been overwhelmingly delighted with MegaBloks sets over the past five years, and overwhelmingly disappointed with LEGO during that same time frame (with the notable and commendable exceptions of some of the (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build, lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: A nice summer surprise

(...) Nothing wrong with an anti-clone statement here. After all, this is the LEGO® Users Group Network. I woundn't expect a Republican to campaign at a Democrat convention anyway (to cite a parallel) Clone bricks are the ENEMY here, they undermine (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build, lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: A nice summer surprise

(...) -Harvey My collection has a (very) few megabloks :-( They're still white and I know why. *WARNING: ANTI-CLONE STATEMENT* Even the dirt and dust won't touch it :) (23 years ago, 13-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build, lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact