 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 91
Re: Rokenbok Systems: Integration into a TLG World?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 21:16:41 GMT

I picked up the Basic Start set (33% off at a local ZB) within the last
couple of weeks.  I like it both for the (limited) LEGO compatibility
and for play. Sadly, I have not yet attached any LEGO to it.  Now I have
more incentive...

Steve
(Frank Filz had good comments on this topic.  It's too bad the only LEGO
connections are to the tops of the plates.)

Mr L F Braun wrote:

   Hey all,

   This isn't really a "clone brand," but since it
   has elements designed for compatibility, and
   because I'm looking at buying it specifically
   for use in building a port for my Lego ships,
   I'm going to post my query here.

   OK, I've been hitting the local Zany Brainys
   and other "artsy" toy stores, and I've grown
   very interested in the Rokenbok systems as
   a possible compatible way to built frameworks,
   since they have large baseplate elements that
   would allow minifigs, turrets, whatever on the
   spans.  The quality looks pretty good, and
   the price (ugh) reflects it.

   So my question is:  Do any of you have this
   stuff? What's your impression?  Would it be
   worth sinking the $100 or so to buy a clump
   of parts boxes to build a base in a way I
   can't with Lego, because I'd use too many
   vital pieces?  And no, I have no interest in
   the vehicles, the R/C system, or the figures
   and accessories--only the building elements
   themselves, which actually seem more minifig
   scale than to the scale of the figures Rokenbok
   makes.  Nice decorative elements, too.

   Oh, and as an aside:  I've fiddled with them.
   Most ZBs have a set or two out and fully
   assembled--which is how I know that at
   least it's solidly constructed (perhaps too much
   so).  I just don't know how it looks when it's
   in and amongst the real bricks and plates...

   Thanks,

   LFB.