 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 871
Re: Best-Lock Castles Review
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2001 15:12:41 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Dave Schuler writes:
I've only bought the military sets, since they--along with construction
sets--are all I find on stores' shelves.

I might actually try picking up a military set or two (I've seen some at
nicely discounted prices, even for Best-Lock) just for the pieces (don't ask
why-- you don't want to know)

Your comments are generally
consistent with my observations, as well.  I haven't run into the "bleeding"
bricks

Could be because they've either changed their production techniques in the
last few years or because they're so old... I dunno... but I really only
noticed it with the black bricks... Of course it COULD have been happening
with the other colors, but grey on your hands is so much more difficult to
notice :)

and the figures I've bought have removable helmets, sort of (the
heads are shaped like cups, so removing the headgear leaves a gaping hole
from the eyebrows up!)

Huh! Yeah, I've been kinda curious to pry a head or two apart and see how
it's made under there.

The best thing about Best-Lock, IMO, is the set design.  For being a
newish product, the designers have made great use of the unusual pieces and
odd connection points to yield some very cool models.

Yeah, I have to agree-- their set design has really come through strong. As
soon as they get some more varied pieces and some better piece quality, they
might be as much of a competitor as MegaBloks (which I *haven't* ever
bought-- just Best-Lock and Tyco [which were really pretty top-of-the-line
as far as clones go, I've heard])

DaveE