 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 864
863  |  865
Subject:
New Xtreme Sports sets by MegaBloks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 03:31:27 GMT

Even though neither http://www.megabloks.com nor the catalog that came in the
box indicated the set I bought, I found a few releases from the Xtreme Sports
line that look interesting.  The set I picked up (9163) is a sort of heavy-duty
4WD-style vehicle with a small trailer, two figures, and a motorbike.  It's
is pretty cool, once again proving that interesting (if a bit blocky) models
can be built without resorting to two-piece juniorization.  It includes about
130 pieces for $9.99.
  Of greater interest to me, though costing more than I had on me, is a larger
motor-park set with some kind of sound-effects brick.  This set includes
several of the curved ramp panels featured in earlier Xtreme sets, but these
appear to have a partially textured surface patterned along the lines of metal
panelling common on the running boards of firetrucks and the like (is there a
word for that pattern?).  Unfortunately, this may have been a decal; I couldn't
be sure, and the box was on the top shelf, so I couldn't get a closer look.
However, the set also came with a dozen or so 2x2 tiles with the same
(possibly raised/textured) pattern--these alone would be enough to strike my
interest!  They're the familiar silver-grey color MegaBloks has used before,
and enough of them could make a fantastic deck or floor.
  I still haven't seen the ProBuilder construction vehicle set, nor the
much-anticipated and mysteriously-procrastinated White House set.  The search
continues!

     Dave!