 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 768
Re: Quality of Clone Parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 19:48:23 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, David Zorn writes:
I've been away from Lugnet for a year or so, so this may seem like a
redundant question but ...

What do people that build mostly with Lego think of the quality of clone parts?

I build and collect Lego, but have bought a number of the pro-builder range
of Megabloks. I was after a source of cheaper grey 2 x 4's for building large
castle walls and larger buildings. I find them acceptable.

Using Lego parts as the standard for a 10 and the worst being zero, please
tell how well you think other currently available clones compare in terms of
quality and compatability with Lego.

At least a six, possibly a seven. At approximately one fifth the cost, I find
that acceptable.

I see lots of discussion comparing clone sets to Lego sets. I want to know
about using them together.

I tend to build in one brand or the other. More for colour consistency rather
than incompatability reasons. Search for Richard Parsons Valhalla aircraft
carrier in this newsgroup, because Richard has built his ship from mainly MB,
with Lego elements providing the fine detail of minifigs, rubber dinghies,
and small boats and aircraft.
Search on Andrastavia in the castle newsgroup, because Kevin Hall gave some of
his castle structures some added height with MB bricks at the base of the walls

I own lots of Lego, but only 3 MB sets (Outlaw's Cabin, Viking Ship, and the
big naval ship from the Creature Seekers series). IMO, the Viking Ship was
the only one that was acceptable in terms of the quality of the parts. After
feeling ripped of from the naval ship, I decided not to buy another clone set.

The ProBuilder range are newer than the above, so I don't know if the quality
has changed.

Now I read all these glowing remarks about the clone sets because they are
1) not juniorized, 2) build modern military equipment, 3) have greater color
variety, 4) are cheaper.

1)With a smaller range of parts, MB cannot be as juniorised, this probably
helps keeping them cheap. But it also means you have more of the one type of
part, which beats buying heaps of sets, just to get a decent number.
2)The tank model is a neat model. All depends if you want to build military
models.
3)All depends. Great for grey 2 x 4's, purple !, clear 2 x 2 bricks + slopes,
khaki bricks and plates and slopes, flouro green bricks(?).
But Lego has diverse colours too, depends what YOU want.
4)That's a fact.

Are they worth it?

Depends. Think about what you want to build. What colours and style.
I will continue to use both as the need arises.
As Richard Parsons said to me, he was able to build the Valhalla for under
$500 (Australian) = US$275 approx. To have built it out of Lego....?
So look at your own budget and decide.

pete.w <aquanaut@optusnet.com.au>