 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 504
Re: Mega Bloks - ugh
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 14:49:05 GMT

"Ran Talbott" <ran@netgate.net> writes:

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Chris Gray writes:

Corrected URL:

http://www.graysage.edmonton.ab.ca/cg/Toys/Megabloks/ProBuilder/USSKittyhawk/

(You left out the "cg/").

Oops. Thanks for the correction.

Some really impressive stuff there,  Chris!  I think your 7-foot skyscraper
kinda answers my question about structural strength  ;-)

No problems with strength. If my ceiling had been higher I could have gone
another couple of feet with the bricks available. My guess is that that
basic design is mostly limited in height by its stability - if you build
it outside and get too high, it would get blown over! The tower has been
taken apart over the last few days. I was going to take a picture of the
pile of bricks from it, but didn't remember until it was about 1/4 taken
apart. Sigh.

I've also thought it would be extremely cool to do a "bricks-only" castle
(though I haven't done more than a little thinking).  One thing I'm wondering
about is the color matching between MB and Lego:  in some cases,  a mismatch
would be awful,  but I'm thinking it would be very nice for a castle wall.  It
would make it look a little more realistic if there was some variation among
the stone colors.  Have you tried that?

I've done a little mixing, but not much. I have very few grey Lego bricks -
the ratio is about 100 to 1. I think the greys would go together fine,
and the red, blue and white do go together almost invisibly. Some of the
earlier MegaBloks yellow was noticeably different, and of course their
different colours (purple, bright green, military green, etc.) don't match
any Lego colour. Also, the Megabloks tan is noticeably oranger than the
Lego tan.

--
Don't design inefficiency in - it'll happen in the implementation.

Chris Gray     cg@ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA
               http://www.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA/cg/