 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 365
Re: An inquiry I sent off to Ritvik/MegaBloks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 01:58:42 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Dave Schuler writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Richard Marchetti writes:
Hey:

I got a curious about MegaBloks stand on bulk parts and wrote them the
following email:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ • **snip of letter**
Now I eagerly await the response.

Interesting--I likewise am interested to hear what they say.  Sadly, while
the people with whom I've spoken at Ritvik have themselves been very helpful,
friendly, and professional, the company itself seems to have no interest in
facilitating mail order or online ordering of parts or sets.  When I ordered a
catalog, I got a stapled photocopy with a text listing of sets and prices with
no accompanying pictures.  In addition, the listed prices generally exceeded
full retail price, in addition to shipping charges from Canada.  Finally, they
didn't (at the time, at least--perhaps they've changed) accept credit card
purchases!
I'm a huge fan of clone brands in general and MegaBloks in particular
(though not as knowledgeable as Richard Schamus, I now sulkily admit!), but
I'm disappointed in their consumer approachability.  A few months ago I
contacted them to see if they had any provisions for purchasing in bulk, but
they didn't offer that service, either.
Along the same lines, why is it that neither their website nor their in-
package catalogs are anywhere near up-to-date?  I just bought another copy of
the Battleship set, and the catalog that came in the box didn't feature the
set itself, or any of the other Pro-Builder sets!  When I hear about the cool
pastel buckets, the Snoopy/Woodstock sets, or even the wretched Pokemon sets,
I'd love to get a look at them, but none of the catalogs feature them.
On the other hand, take a look at this:

http://www.megabloks.com/new/new_blok-bots.html

Looks pretty cool to me, but I'll have to suspend final judgment for now.  I
have no doubt that no one at Ritvik had even heard of Throwbots before
launching this new product line, but it still has the potential for clever
design!

   Dave!

I see mechs. Everyone will hate me, but I'm gonna buy up as many of them as
possible, (clone lovers for taking them all, and purist for my use of them in
brick wars). I can't wait... (*insert your own maniacle laugh here*)
Rich
--
Have Fun! C-Ya!

Legoman34

*****
Legoman34 (Richard W. Schamus)... (No, I don't work for TLC, but I want
to...)
Card carrying LUGNET MEMBER: #70
Visit http://www.wamalug.org &
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/1334
...(the wait is over...)
..."The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself." ...
EASTCOAST LEGOFEST IN THE NATION'S CAPITAL, WASHINGTON D.C. JUNE 9-11!!!
*****