 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2360
Re: Clone sightings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 22:14:10 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Dave Schuler wrote:
   I just spotted a new (to me) brand of clone brick at TRU called X-Blocks. I’ve never heard of it before, but this particular set is a licensing of the movie The Hulk, and it’s apparently called the Hulk Destructor Construction System. The set is $29.99 and includes 323 bricks, along with a few non-poseable figures. The bricks appear to be about LEGO-sized, but the studs are the wrong proportion for use with LEGO or conventional clone brands. I haven’t seen much info on the web about this brand, but the few reviews I’ve read online have been quite negative.

In other clone-news, I see that Best-Lock has two 1000-piece sets in the military line, along with a range of smaller sets, all featuring their newer figure designs. Best-Lock is, of course, rather unsatisfying in terms of LEGO-compatibility and clutch-strength, but these sets include some cool accessories, such as new weapons, fuel drums, jerry cans, and the like. Unlike Best-Lock’s earlier M-16’s, these weapons appear to be more compatible with LEGO minifig hands, though I admit that I haven’t examined them in close detail. But if you’re looking for some nifty parts to enhance your minifigs’ arsenals, it might be worthwhile to snag one of the smaller sets priced between $2 and $5.

This week I spotted a small set in this series on the shelf at Wal*Mart. Apparently these are Exin blocks, which previously has produced castle sets and currently offers sets representing several Spider-Man scenes, Shrek’s Castle, and/or Fiona’s Castle. I have no experience with Exin, other than to know that they’re not compatible with LEGO. I can’t seem to find an Exin website yet, but I’ll keep looking.

In any case, this suggests that LEGO, Exin, and MegaBloks are all currently in license deals for construction brick-toys based on Marvel characters, Spiderman in particular.

Dave!