 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2357
Re: Mega Bloks Spider-Man Pictures
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 15:49:10 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Ken Dowd wrote:

     Indeed, my opinion of the MB figs as ugly is a matter of taste. But, when
compared to LEGO figs, I also believe that they fall short from a practical
standpoint. I'll take a LEGO printed cylinder head and bland trapezoid torso
over a sculpted MB fig anytime. LEGO figs can mix and match body parts easily,
but that's more problematic for a MB fig. Look at the police officer in this
Spider-man set - he's a cop, and unless your prepared to do some serious
dremeling, he'll always be a cop. The poor guy can't even take off his hat! :)

  Sure he can, as long as you take his head off with it!  I've had some success
mixing and matching the sculpted parts, at least enough to satisfy me, but I see
your point.  For someone who particularly values that kind of
interchangeability, then that might definitely be missed.

I'm a Castle guy, and I can take figs (or parts of figs) from any theme and
use them in a castle MOC. I can even put Euro armor on a police torso and no
one's the wiser. It would be much harder to use the MB sculpted police torso in
the Dragons theme.

Don't you have cops in your Realm?  What kind of lawless society are you
running?  8^)

     As far as proportions go...again, a matter of taste. I find the proportions
of LEGO minifigs to have a certain charm, whereas MegaBloks figs seem, as you
said, strange. I think the main problem are MB minifig legs a too short - put a
pair of black LEGO legs on the MB Venom fig and I think he would look much
better.

Hmm.  I hadn't realized that, but I'll have to check when I get home.  I had the
impression that the two brands' legs were the same length, compared with the
overall body.  Regardless, I will grant that the MB heads are often too large
for the bodies.  Of course, that's also true of LEGO figs, in which the heads
are waaaay to big, but in a different way.

One aspect of MB minfigs that really interests me is the new hand design.
Instead of being pincer-like, it has a distinct thumb.  The trade-off is that
there's no way for the minifig to grip a 1x1 brick, but I like the style better
nonetheless.  The Dragon figs, of course, have a one-piece hand/arm element, so
that's kind of a bummer.

When I first saw the the new stoplight piece I thought "cool". Then I
remembered a couple of stoplight MOCs I've seen on Brickshelf recently and the
MB piece was'nt so attractive anymore. And I guess that's the problem with
MegaBloks recently(for me) - all the specialty pieces seem like cheating.

I can see that.  I suppose it's good to distinguish between specialty elements
with a range of applications and single-focus specialty elements, like the
traffic light.  I can't really see how that piece would be incorporated into a
Castle or Pirates MOC.  It works in its setting, but not as well elsewhere.

So if you're not pleased with the set (280 pieces?  Probably be $20-$30, I'd
guess), then by all means leave it on the shelf.  The more for me, the better!

Ha! Like you are going to come to NC to buy the MB sets I leave on the shelves.
:D

Sure--I sweep through NC each week to clean out the MB leftovers.  You've been
warned!

Thanks once again to Bill for this great information.  Any other scoop that you
can pass along will be greatly appreciated, of course.

Indeed, it is appreciated. In fact, last Saturday morning, I came here to post
the very same info, only to find Bill had beat me to it by a few minutes.

Hey, every infosource is useful.  If you come upon any other news, let us know!

Dave!