 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2356
Re: Mega Bloks Spider-Man Pictures
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 09:32:11 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Dave Schuler wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Ken Dowd wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Bill Connick wrote:
Hey,
Just wanted to keep everybody informed on the status of the New Spider-Man sets
from Mega Bloks. I came across these pictures this morning from
action-figure.com

http://www.action-figure.com/Reviews+index-req-showcontent-id-793.html

As I find out more information I will keep you informed. The set looks pretty
good. I especially like the police man's face as well as Mary Jane's. Spidy and
Venom arn't too bad either.

I own a fair amount of Mega Bloks, but I'm not very impressed with this set.
There are a few specialty elements I like (the mailbox is neat), but the main
reason to get this would be for the minifigs, and I find Mega Bloks figs plain
ugly. In fact, the last 8 or so pics feature Art Asylum's Marvel Minimates,
which I think just show how nasty Mega Bloks figs really are.

It's not as though they replaced MegaBloks minifigs with MiniMates--all of the
MB minifigs are shown in the review, and the (to me) hideous minimates only show
up to demonstrate that the set can be used in a diorama, as the review
indicates.

I'm aware of why the Minimates were pictured in this gallery - I wasn't
suggesting they were replacing the MB figs, just pointing out how they made the
MB figs look inferior (IMO). Actually, I think that the MB buildings look better
when graced with the presence of the Minimates.

I'm not sure why MB minifigs strike you as ugly, but that's a matter of taste.
I'd rather have a well-sculpted minifig head than a printed cylinder.  For that
matter, I prefer a nicely-sculpted minifig torso to a bland trapezoid.  Granted,
the proportions of MB minifigs are kind of strange, but that's also true of LEGO
minifigs, isn't it?

     Indeed, my opinion of the MB figs as ugly is a matter of taste. But, when
compared to LEGO figs, I also believe that they fall short from a practical
standpoint. I'll take a LEGO printed cylinder head and bland trapezoid torso
over a sculpted MB fig anytime. LEGO figs can mix and match body parts easily,
but that's more problematic for a MB fig. Look at the police officer in this
Spider-man set - he's a cop, and unless your prepared to do some serious
dremeling, he'll always be a cop. The poor guy can't even take off his hat! :)
     I'm a Castle guy, and I can take figs (or parts of figs) from any theme and
use them in a castle MOC. I can even put Euro armor on a police torso and no
one's the wiser. It would be much harder to use the MB sculpted police torso in
the Dragons theme.
     As far as proportions go...again, a matter of taste. I find the proportions
of LEGO minifigs to have a certain charm, whereas MegaBloks figs seem, as you
said, strange. I think the main problem are MB minifig legs a too short - put a
pair of black LEGO legs on the MB Venom fig and I think he would look much
better.

What kind of specialty elements would you like to see?  I notice a gray arch
that's new (and long overdue) to MegaBloks.  I can't see the baseplate clearly,
but it looks to be new as well.  The gargoyle pieces are from early Dragons
sets, but I'm glad to see them used as architectural elements.  The stoplight
piece is new--and useful--and the trans-yellow dome is nice as well.  Even the
fire hydrant, though not new to this set, is clever.  While I'm at it, I'm
delighted to see a MegaBloks building that isn't bombed-out a la Command Ops nor
uber-juniorized like the Western or Fantasy lines of a decade ago.  And the
crumpled newspaper?  Love it!

     I hope I'm not coming across as a MegaBloks basher, because I'm not (or at
least I didn't use to be). :) I own a fair amount of MB. My first set was the
old castle, followed by the Viking ship (4 of those - $2.00 apiece at Kmart). I
also own some of the skateboard sets, all of the TMNT sets, the first wave of
Dragon sets, and all of the Alien Agency sets (won the largest set in a contest
on the MB website, along with an exclusive AA plastic briefcase set). So, I'm
not a LEGO purist. :)
     But, I have not been buying MB as much lately. I can't bring myself to mix
LEGO and MB bricks and the MB specialty pieces don't hold the attraction they
used to. When I first saw the the new stoplight piece I thought "cool". Then I
remembered a couple of stoplight MOCs I've seen on Brickshelf recently and the
MB piece was'nt so attractive anymore. And I guess that's the problem with
MegaBloks recently(for me) - all the specialty pieces seem like cheating.
     If you're into war gaming and want cheap buildings (or minifig armies) that
assemble quickly, MB is great. Or as you mentioned above, as a diorama to
showcase minifigs (or Minimates), MB is fine. But, for me, LEGO provides a much
more satisfying building experience.

And let's talk about minifigs!  Venom looks great and very faithful to the comic
version.  Spidey likewise looks great without that pesky stud2 atop his head.
The policeman is wonderfully sculpted, and this incarnation of Mary Jane beats
the LEGO version, IMO.

I have long wanted LEGO to make a domed headpiece so bald figs (or figs like
spidey) would have a rounded pate. But, when I look at the MB figs with their
sculpted hair and/or hats, I'll opt for the versatility that pesky LEGO stud
affords.

Just last week a certain clone-fan and I were discussing the nearly exclusive
boys' club of minifigs in MB.  I specifically decried the lack of a female agent
in the Alien Agency series; if you took Mary Jane's head and put it on one of
the Alien Agency figs, you'd have your Scully right there.

With this set MegaBloks has demonstrated clearly that it can produce town-themed
sets at least as good as anything by LEGO in the past ten years.  I'd love to
see them release a whole series of town sets, with or without superheroes.
Heck, now that we've seen what they can do with the Mary Jane and Policeman
minifigs, I'd be happy with a basic "civilian" pack like the Command Ops
Troopbuilder set or the Dragons "War Chests."

This MB set is as good or better than some LEGO town sets of the past ten years,
but not as good as others. Offhand I would say last years police station beats
out this MB set (and I'm sure that's not even the best example).

So if you're not pleased with the set (280 pieces?  Probably be $20-$30, I'd
guess), then by all means leave it on the shelf.  The more for me, the better!

Ha! Like you are going to come to NC to buy the MB sets I leave on the shelves.
:D For all I wrote above, I'm not totally against MB specialty parts. I'm sure
that in the not to distant future, I will see this Spider-man set on sale or
clearance, and looking at that little mailbox and the cracked windows
(abandoned/haunted house MOC) I won't be able to resist picking it up.

Thanks once again to Bill for this great information.  Any other scoop that you
can pass along will be greatly appreciated, of course.

Indeed, it is appreciated. In fact, last Saturday morning, I came here to post
the very same info, only to find Bill had beat me to it by a few minutes.

Ken

Dave!