 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2328
2327  |  2329
Subject:
Cool display at TRU
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 2004 19:48:48 GMT

This morning I stopped by the TRU less visited and saw a really nifty display of MegaBloks sets. It was basically in five parts and took up a surprising amount of floorspace. Additionally, it was located directly opposite the LEGO section, so I’d be interested to learn what effect this might have on sales.

The first part of the display featured the Cyborgs vs. Mutroids Blok-Bots. Really, these aren’t my thing, and they’re not hot sellers locally, judging from their numbers on the shelf. Still, the display wasn’t bad. It had the four humanoid and two animal creatures in a kind of royal rumble fight scene. YMMV.

The second part showed the Gyro Fighters and Racers, with the arena assembled from the sets’ plastic cases. These likewise aren’t really interesting to me, though the offer some good colors. Again, YMMV.

The third part had some of the ProBuilder sets, including the Steam Express, Monster Truck Fury, Air Force Warthog, and the Ford GT. Not the Enterprise, unfortunately, though it’s on sale this week for $24.99. The Steam Express really looks good and is larger than I expected. The Ford GT, despite considerable juniorization, is a nice looking model, too. I may be tempted to buy it, but not at its MSRP.

The fourth part showcased the Command Ops line with some of the newer large sets. “Secure the Dam” looked especially good, albeit with a lot of juniorization. The set includes a fighter jet that may be a single piece, which is really unfortunate. Some nice elements in the Command Ops sets are the “snow” pieces that fit atop bricks and the “shattered” window elements that show battle damage. I really like the battle scene sets with the blown-out buildings. I may pick up a few of these.

The fifth and larget part featured the Dragons Fire & Ice product line. This one was particularly interesting because it faced a LEGO Knight’s Kingdom display and made the KK look kind of pitiful, honestly. Granted, the Dragons line relies too heavily on BURPs and POOPs, but the finished product is impressive. Dragon Mountain stands out as a clever playset, complete with a mine-car track and a forge and anvil. The Vorgan sets include cool elements of varying size that look like wooden sticks lashed together with cords. I don’t know what else I’d use them for, but I like the look of them. Also, these Fire & Ice sets have bricks styled like icicle stalactites and stalagmites which would be useful as set-dressing for a whole range of scenes or dioramas.

Overall, and in my admittedly-not-unbiased opinion, I have to say that the display LEGO’s presence in the store, both in terms of floorspace and sheer coolness. I’d take a squad of Vorgans up against a force of Knight’s Kingdom poseurs any time!

Dave!