 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2239
Re: Clone Parts (and Color ) Inventories
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.color
Date:
Sat, 31 Jul 2004 11:16:26 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Paulo Renato wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Ed Andrews wrote:

   Have you been following Ben’s Bricks and the custom drivers he is molding? Here is my thought line. You’ve got overseas clone brick companies with little to no distribution stateside. Not in an attempt to copy Lego sets, or even release currently produced color parts, it would be very tempting to commission them to make custom colors from their existing molds. Can you image the return of classic light and dark gray? Limitless!

I think that this might be a good idea indeed! I’m really sick of this blays and rbrowns!

Hey, if TLC thinks classic colors are dull (who are they kidding afterall?, kids?...) maybe there are other companys that would not.

Does anyone here have any sort of contact inside (no need for that inside I suppose) of such a company? That could be a chance for them too. With old colors back and suberb plastic quality (i.e., better than MB; on the league of Tyco for instance) I (and some of US for sure) certainly would migrate from brick suppliers.

Paulo Renato (who is still and will be for a long time much upset with this color change.)

P.S. Dear Lego, the color change is a growing mistake. The more it persists, the bigger the mistake. When will you be able to realize it? Maybe too late, I’m afraid.

Paulo,

I just received Brick set #0494, everything but the original box. The bricks were still in shrink wrap. If these aren’t Lego, I’ll ... Heck even Lego sued because they were (kinda still are) too close too Lego. The fitup is better than any clone brand I have every owned (past (Tente and LokBlok and recent BestBlok’s Ertle John Deere). I am desperately trying to establish an overseas contact to purchase bulk bricks from Brick / Shifty / Oxford. I have found no sources in LUGNET.

I am very disappointed in other forums on LUGNET concerning this topic. With as much expressed dissatisfaction about the color change, lack of this part made in this color, this route looks like a ready made market. To me, one could approach this a number of ways. Duplicating Lego offerings will surely draw their legal departments’ attention. I would assume that one could limit the offerings to parts and colors not offered by them.

I am very excited about this. Glad to find a few people with similar sentiment. I will attempt to keep this forum posted towards any developments on my end.

Ed