 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2223
Re: Clone Parts (and Color ) Inventories
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 14:52:38 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Ed Andrews wrote:
   I recently made this posting in the “Building” forum,

   In seeing many LCad models calling upon parts in either custom or nonproduction colors, I wonder if anyone has looked toward the third party market. I don’t think a 4x4 wing in Green and Tan would warrant the effort and expense of the thousands of dollars setup for Ben’s Bricks custom drivers, but would sure help fill a niche.

Supposing a party has a mold for a particular part. Is production in a nonproduction color legitimate? I confess I need some 4x4 wings in green and tan and would pay a premium for them. Does anyone have a contact for Mr.Shifty / Brick in China? An arrangement like this could see more military colors in all standard bricks.

Better yet, classic light and dark grey! Anyway, does anyone know of resource that inventories current clone parts and colors?

You know, that’s a great idea. I confess that I don’t have the resources at the moment to give such a project the time it deserves, but there’s certainly a lot that could be done in this regard. One of the problems is that numerous brands have similar but not identical reds, grays, blues, etc., and it would be a good deal of work to represent them all. Maybe we could try to create a color palette such as has been done for LDraw?

Actually, are you suggesting separate inventories for parts and for colors? That strikes me as easier than a single, integrated list cross-referenced for brick type, brick color, and brand.

I’m working with a LUGNET member-at-large to assemble a graphic inventory of currently available clone-dats, similar to the way the partsref keeps track of LEGO parts. At present, this inventory is limited to those clone parts that have already been rendered for LDraw, but in the future we might include photos of parts that have so far eluded rendering.

In any case, I suggest that we draft Richard Schamus for this color-scheme undertaking! He’s previously demonstrated a solid knowledge of clone-brand colors, and I think he’d be a useful resource until a more formalized inventory is completed.

While I’m at it, I have a fledgling desire to create a Peeron-style parts inventory for at least the MEGABLOKS for which I have instructions. Time will tell.

Dave!