 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2154
2153  |  2155
Subject:
Playmobile
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 2004 23:38:42 GMT

Not really a clone, but a competitor to my mind

I picked up a 2004 Playmobile catalogue today when browsing for Lego. They had a
big Playmobile promotional setup in the mall outside the toyshop with motorised
dioramas of the sets and some sort of competitions for the kids.

Anyway, looking through the catalogue reminded me of A:Lego and B:how Lego
should be.
The WHOLE range is in the catalogue, when was the last time Lego did this? It
annoys me that they don't anymore. Also the sets have their own pictures in the
way Lego used to do it.They also have an 'Accessories' section in the way lego
used to do it. The Playmobile 123 range looks suspiciously similer to Duplo, or
Explore or whatever its called today.
There is a large range of different themes, each has anough sets to make them
viable, the themes are also the one that AFOLs seem to love, pirates, space,
trains, town, construction etc. The 'girly' themes aren't portrayed as girly,
which is good in my book. There are also radio controlled trains!
obviously Playmbile lacks the construction element of Lego, but somehow most of
the sets have more appeal as standalone item than many of the more recent Lego
sets, not including the more adult themed sets (sculptures etc.) Nowadys there
aren't that many sets that I want for themselves, I just look at them as parts
packs.
I'd be interested to know what others think comparing the product ranges

Tim