 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1757
Re: Mega Bloks and Bandai Join Forces in Japan and Asia
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 02:06:16 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Christopher Snead wrote:
   The blocks don’t stay together at all!

I really disagree with this, and it matters a lot when you made your purchase. I find MB quality to be quite good and MB purchases may actually be the bulk of my new purchases. I’m sure not buying too much junk like Galidork or Bionickles (although I have some of the latter).

MB quality is getting better and better all the time, esp. for the Mecha and ProBuilder lines; and their designs cannot be easily matched by TLC, not for basic brick set designs. I can easily see a time when TLC abandons the manufacturing of basic bricks to clone companies -- the patents lapse as we speak, right? Before they ruined Tyco Superblocks in court (or whatever), I think Tyco was actually superior in quality to Lego bricks for the basic brick quality. If you can find some Tyco bricks, I defy you to easily tell them apart from Lego bricks, esp. in terms of the quality of the bricks.

And I don’t know what some of you have been seeing, but in WalMarts and KMarts the MB section is nearly the same size as the Lego section. I’d say the competition was fierce and getting fiercer all the time.

This good competition may have given rise to the new Designer sets being offered by TLC -- they may have finally realized that others can beat them at their game unless they get their act together and offer good old fashioned brick sets at a decent price point.

-- Hop-Frog