 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1611
Re: Wal*Mart truck clone!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 15:50:00 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Dave Schuler writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Paul Maxwell writes:
This set is definitly a Coko set. I have enough Coko to match these bricks and
the minifigs against. Coko 100%... Instructions Coko style too.

I over-stated the apparent duplication of parts in the Wal*Mart set;
several distinctive pieces are very similar but are undeniably different
enough not to have come from direct copies of molds.  I also just noticed
that the underside of the steering wheel (the 1x2 tile base) has "Coko"
embossed on it.  If it's not Coko, then it's a brand called Coko!

I also would like to see Coko developing sets again for the US market... Even
if it is through Wal-Mart.

I agree completely!  The more competitors, the better our field of choices
will be!
I was somewhat disappointed that 150+ of the 484 parts in the set were
white 1x2 bricks, but i would never accuse them of padding the parts count.
Not me.  Never.

    Dave!

This should be interesting in light of the TLC infringement victory (in China)
that hit the wire-services today (see .mediawatch). Since this appears to be a
Coko set, and TLC just won 33 of the claimed infringements against Coko, I
wonder if this will be a one of a kind item not soon to be repeated.

A few items in this set I have to wonder how Coko could make them and not
infringe on TLC...
o 1 x 2 Tiles (they even have the groove under the edge)
o 1 x 1 Tiles (with Groove)
o 1 x 2 plate with Handle
o Steering Wheel (looks quite similar to the TLC item)
o 1 x 1 Plate Modified with Clip Vertical

I have checked about a dozen WM stores and only found this set in two. If
anyone is having difficulty locating this item, email me and we'll work
something out. Or you can ask your local WM store toy dept to check on
availability, The UPC number is ...  8  22317 00001  2

I agree with a comment made elsewhere in this thread, the "white" bricks are a
most curious shade of milky-white. Almost like something between TLC-White and
the color TLC used for the C3-P0 minifig. Think White, with the vaugest hint of
Pink in it.

Curiously, the packaging for this set is better than what TLC usually offers.
There are four bags of bricks, each of which is in a nice quad-recess in the
package so that nothing moves around from handling. The typical TLC set package
has no such dividers. TLC might learn something here.

Ray