 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1383
1382  |  1384
Subject:
Mega Bloks RC set 9616
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 14:14:57 GMT

I recently purchased this set for the sole purpose of examining its R/C
technology - I have an ongoing interest in the area of Lego R/C as some on
lugnet may know.

The R/C system itself is clunky. A large box holding batteries, receiver and
motors - 12 x 16 studs x about 3 high.

The transmitter is actually quite nice and swoopy.

The overall controls are of the skid steer kind, left and right motor
control which is simply full reverse or full forward or stop. It goes so
fast that it is hard to maintain control when trying to make a turn.

It uses "old technology" 27 MHz with the choice of two channels. It appears
to be FM. The receiver is switched on and off by clipping a little code disk
onto a receptacle on the base. This code disk selects the operating channel
too, yellow for one channel, purple for the other.

The really interesting part is quite how bad the juniorization has become
over at the Mega Bloks designery. There are only a few major pieces of
rather fanciful bodywork which must be pressed into place and you're ready
to play.

If this is Mega Bloks answer to what the Lego company are currently
offering, then they've got a fight on their hands. This product is half the
price of the Lego Nitro R/C car but the quality and feel of the Lego toy is
very obvious when they are compared side by side. Since I have very lttle
experience with Mega Bloks, I can only say how surprised I am that they can
make something that so closely resembles the Lego product and yet is so
inferior in terms of overall look and feel. (I did like the stud-stud
reverser plate though ;)

Although I have stated publicly my disappointment by Lego's recent release
of the spybotics series, I suddenly realise I really am on the green side of
the fence when it comes to toy technology!

JB