 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1386
Re: Mega Bloks RC set 9616
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Sun, 11 Aug 2002 03:05:26 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, John Barnes writes:
I recently purchased this set for the sole purpose of examining its R/C
technology - I have an ongoing interest in the area of Lego R/C as some on
lugnet may know.

***snip of tech review***

The really interesting part is quite how bad the juniorization has become
over at the Mega Bloks designery. There are only a few major pieces of
rather fanciful bodywork which must be pressed into place and you're ready
to play.

  To be fair, though--the Battle Bloks are not at all representative of
MegaBloks overall trend re: juniorization.  One need only compare piece counts
of a $20 MegaBloks set vs. a $20 LEGO set; MegaBloks typically has three or
four times as many pieces for the same price.  No, the plastic quality is
definitely not "as good" as LEGO, but for many people it's "good enough,"
especially given LEGO's recent some-assembly-required attitude toward set
design.

***another snip***

Although I have stated publicly my disappointment by Lego's recent release
of the spybotics series, I suddenly realise I really am on the green side of
the fence when it comes to toy technology!

  I worked at a hobby store for four years, where mid- to high-end RC products
were sold.  I believe the least expensive full two-channel kit we sold was
about $75, and the price range when up as far as the customer cared to go.
Eventually I noticed that local Radio Shacks and TRU's sold $20 to $30 kits,
and the kits practically flew off the shelves in those stores.  I mentioned
this to my boss, and he said that "the serious buyer" would shell out more for
quality, while the more frugal purchaser would be disappointed with an inferior
product.  Maybe so, but I'll bet TRU sold ten of its $25 kits for every $80 set
we sold.  TRU wasn't marketing to the serious RC enthusiast, but to the casual
dabbler.
  Perhaps that's what's at play here.  The MegaBloks kits don't have to be
fantastic--they simply need to be "good enough."

     Dave!