 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1368
Re: MB updated their website (Destroyer?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 14:12:09 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Dave Schuler writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Richard Parsons writes:

Can anyone fill me in as to what the Destroyer is about (beyond the text on
the MB site)?

"This high definition model is recomended for the
experienced builder. This authentic replica
features lots of details including deck
artillery, heli-pad with helicopter,
communications/radar array, and deck boats.
Finished model is over 25" long."

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~drteeth1/clones/9762.jpg

Items of note:

32 of the 1x4 railing pieces
2 one-piece 4x missle racks (not articulated, but nice in small scale)
2 missile launchers (non-firing) with side pegs
4 small-scale missles for above
3 two-piece radar dishes.  Not yet sure if I like them or not
2 tiny turrets (like a round-topped 3062b)
1 small-scale crane/gantry/waldo or what-not
2 small-scale landing craft
1 helicopter with spinning rotor
1 mast tower.  Rather disappointing; it's triangular with an open back,
   and it's designed to clip onto an 8LDU bar rather than attaching to
   the top of a brick.  I don't think I like it.

The instructions give an itemized piece count, but I didn't have time to
scan it.  Somewhere around 120 grey 2x4 bricks, a few 1x2 trans-smoke
bricks, and 6 2/3-height 4x16 bricks in grey and black.  These first
appeared, I believe, in the Sea Wolf sub but are also in the new Jet Fighter.

Another cool offering, on the whole.  I long ago dismantled my battleship
and carrier, so I can't check the scale.  Looks neat in any case.

Thanks Dave, you're a genius.

Nice ship.  Fabulous pieces.  Minifig scale, the railing pieces will make
terrific handrails on the outer hull of a space ship.

I'll give it another few weeks.  Don't be too surprised of I start sniffing
around for a US shop that will ship some of these beauties (and a sub or
two) to Australia :-)

Richard
Still baldly going...