 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1349
Re: Mega Bloks finally updated their website (cool new stuff!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 12:40:11 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Richard Marchetti writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Mike Petrucelli writes:
http://www.megabloks.com/PARENTS/pages/catalog/catalog.html

I think the correct link is labelled "New Toys", last item on the navbar to
the left...

But yeah, some great stuff is coming from MB: the "Dragons" sets look priced
to move and to catch the LOTR craze, there seems to be some kind of answer
to bionickles called "Gyro Fighters" based on a ball-joint mechanism for
limb movement, there is some great chrome coming in sets like the "Dune
Racer", I liked the "Interceptor" bot -- there's something very Kirbyesque
about it, the "Jackal & Scorpion" looks VERY cool with great new claw
elements and the amazing Anubis figure, YES!!! -- the "Pro Builder® Tactical
Fighter" seems to come with a trans-yellow canopy just as Mike notes, and
the "Transforming Blok Bots® Ultimate Assault" just looks too cool.

  You're both correct about the trans-yellow canopy.  It's two pieces; the
rear part actually connects to the surrounding bricks and provides the pivot
on which the front part of the canopy hinges up.  Very cool.  It's
reminiscent of the canopy from the Mustang kit (now on sale for $29.90 at
your local Target, and so's the Harley Softtail, while I'm at it) but it's
sleeker.  That set also comes with two new wing pieces, a really nice engine
cowling, missile and fuel tank parts, and a new wheelset.  It also includes
about 8 of the 2x4-plate-with-4-studs in dark grey.  $20, but I can't recall
if it's 525 or 595 pieces.
  I bought the BlokBot that turns into a jet (Interceptor) and it comes with
a great new hinged trans-dk.grey canopy, two new gatling gun bricks, and two
of the larger wing pieces first featured in the Knight & Wolf set.  Standard
BlokBot price--$12.99 where I bought it, but it might run betwee $9.99 and
$15.99 depending on where you go.

Those "War Chest" are a great idea -- why, I guess they are minifigure
packs!  What a concept!  But this set isn't priced right in my view -- for 3
figures I would tend to think no more than $5 is fair and then they can keep
the tin chest, no thanks.  Unless the minis turn out to be too cool for
words, I'll likely buy only 1 tin at the MSRP price and wait for the
clearance sales.

  I think you've fallen victim to MegaBloks' vague price listings.  I bought
one War Chest for $4.99 at a local Family Toy not known for its low low
prices.  The set I got included a handful of the 2x4 rough-hewn bricks and 3
figures plus weapons and a new specialized castle element.

  I've only seen the new stuff at that one store, but I have two TRU's to
check out in my area.  I'll post if I get more useful info.

     Dave!