 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1284
Re: (_Some sets of interest for Castle folks_)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Wed, 22 May 2002 04:01:26 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Matt Hein writes:
In lugnet.castle, Jeff Stembel writes:
That is correct.  Taiwan, Hong Kong, mainland China, and many other east
Asian countries do not observe/enforce international copyright laws.  That is
why bootlegs are so common everywhere over there except Japan.

Jeff

Arrgh! Nothing more annoying than cheap knowkoffs, especially of Castle Sets.
Can anyone tell me exactly why china (or other asian countries for that
matter) don't enforce copyright laws?

Well, as I understand it, it really is not in their best interest to do so.
Some of the companies almost legitimate, in such that they act like real
companies, but their business is selling copyrighted material (CDs*, DVDs*,
plastic building blocks), so these companies generate revenue for the area etc.
It is not cheap to go after these bootleggers, and the local jurisdictions do
not get funding to actually go after them, so it is not worth the
time/effort/expense to do so.  Since real companies are unlikely to pay for the
continual expense of stopping bootleggers of their products, nothing much is
done about them.

It's like this, what If you took the harry potter of dragon riders of
pern, changed a few words, added a few paragraphs, and released it as
your own? I think this to be an insult to the original artists and
creators that worked hard long hours to come up with these aspects,
and then a bunch of idiots just take a few things, change them and get
easy profit. My word...

Many people don't care as long as they can make some quick cash without
actually doing work.  And since many buyers want the cheapest product
available, the cycle continues.

Just to be reaffirming, I don't support plagiarism or anything of
that sort, so I don't think I will even think of buying these...
(they probably won't even fit with normal lego bricks anyhow:)

They don't even consistantly fit with each other!  ;)

Jeff

* - When buying (mostly imports) CDs and DVDs on ebay and the like, if it
sounds too good to be true, it almost certainly is.  Do research beforehand,
and when in doubt don't buy!  Import CDs priced at ~$14.99 are virtually
guaranteed to be bootlegs, as are most import DVDs with more than about 180
minutes, Chinese subtitles, and no english dub.