 Model Team / 636
Re: Manitowoc 888
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.modelteam
Date:
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 15:45:22 GMT

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for sharing the pics!

Strange boom construction does the crane have. Most times the boom is built
of technic bricks. Anyway, never seen such a construction on such a big crane!

How often do you have meetings? Do you also go to other events next to
Brickfest? From 19th to 22th October there's a big LEGO event in the
Netherlands (probably the biggest in Europe). But I don't take a visit to
it. I've bin there last year, but it was too commercial. As a model maker
it's not interesting for me to go there. I prefer model shows, like the big
show in Geldermalsen NL (Modelshow Europe). Do you have these in the US??

And what are you building now? Another crane?

Did you have contact with Beat? I haven't heard anything from him since
August I guess.

Regards,

Dennis

In lugnet.technic, Thomas Avery writes:
At this past TEXLUG meeting, I met a guy with an awesome crane. Steve built
a great model of a Manitowoc 888 heavy duty crawler crane. There are 6
images of it at this site:
http://www.texlug.org/fall2002/index.html
Go to the bottom of the page and look in the right column of thumbnails. You
can't miss it. It's big and red.

Some features:
• approximately Technic fig scale
• hand powered
• self lifting ballast (powered by pneumatics)
• double row of crawlers on each side
• four-part block

Steve is into cranes and other construction and mining equipment. He managed
to get many brocures on Manitowoc cranes, and built his model very accurately.

I look forward to his next project. It will definitely be impressive.

-TJ