 Model Team / 53
RE: Huh?!?!?!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.modelteam
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 19:17:51 GMT

Frank Buiting writes:
In lugnet.modelteam, Mark Herzberg writes:
I was looking through the catalogs at Brickshelf and found a • 1986 catalouge
with Model Team sets in it (5510, 5540, and 5580). I though MT came out
in '89. What's the deal? Was it a limited realese?

AFAIK it's not a limited series. It was available in Holland for
a couple of
years from '86 (I believe to '88 but I have no catalog near me to
verify that)

I seem to remember reading somewhere (probably r.t.l) that the series
was available in Europe for a while before finally being released in
the States in '89. The 5540 I found at a Service Merchandise surprisingly
late ('94 or '95) is copyright '86 and says made by Lego Denmark,
distributed by Enfield. The 5510 and 5580 are copyright '86 & '90 and
made by Enfield of parts manfactured in Denmark, Switzerland and the US.
Whatever. :-)

It just makes me wonder what the Pause database takes as 'release
date' of a
set.

Probably the year they were introduced according to the US in-set catalogs.
When first creating the database, Lou probably either didn't know the sets
were released in Europe earlier or was aiming the information at US readers.

Btw, if anybody needs a 5540 e-mail me; I have an extra I may be willing to
part with.

Doug