 Model Team / 1084
  Question about the 3451 Sopwith Camel's machine guns....

[LEGOSet 3451] Forgive my ignorance of WW1 war machines, but how is the machine gun supposed to fire without damaging the propellor? :) (21 years ago, 6-Dec-03, to lugnet.modelteam, FTX)

  Re: Question about the 3451 Sopwith Camel's machine guns....

(...) I believe they used a timing chain in order to shoot between the blades of the prop. It was mechanical, yet very clever, technology. I wondered the same thing myself years ago while playing a video game, then a friend explained it to me. :) (...) (21 years ago, 6-Dec-03, to lugnet.modelteam, FTX)

  Re: Question about the 3451 Sopwith Camel's machine guns....

(...) Yes, the guns were synchronized in order to shoot between the blades. This was actually a leap forward in technology. Some earlier planes had their guns mounted on the top wing in order to not shoot of the propellor, but it was more difficult (...) (21 years ago, 6-Dec-03, to lugnet.modelteam, FTX)

  Re: Question about the 3451 Sopwith Camel's machine guns....

(...) Here is a webpage with a bit of the history and developments to answer your question: (URL) (21 years ago, 6-Dec-03, to lugnet.modelteam)

  Re: Question about the 3451 Sopwith Camel's machine guns....

Thanks all for your answers. If what Martin said was true and the synchronisation COULD fail, I'd be really nervous each time I'd fire one of these... (21 years ago, 6-Dec-03, to lugnet.modelteam, FTX)