 Model Team / 1086
Re: Question about the 3451 Sopwith Camel's machine guns....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.modelteam
Date:
Sat, 6 Dec 2003 09:57:04 GMT

In lugnet.modelteam, Allan Bedford wrote:
   In lugnet.modelteam, Stephane Simard wrote:

    3451 Sopwith Camel
577 elements, 0 figures, US$50, 2001
LEGO > Sculptures

Forgive my ignorance of WW1 war machines, but how is the machine gun supposed to fire without damaging the propellor? :)

I believe they used a timing chain in order to shoot between the blades of the prop. It was mechanical, yet very clever, technology.

I wondered the same thing myself years ago while playing a video game, then a friend explained it to me. :)

Allan B.

Yes, the guns were synchronized in order to shoot between the blades. This was actually a leap forward in technology. Some earlier planes had their guns mounted on the top wing in order to not shoot of the propellor, but it was more difficult to aim with and the main problem was that the machine guns sometimes jammed. The pilot could then not reach the guns for fixing the problem when they were mounted on the top wing.

But I do beliewe that the synchronization sometimes failed!

Martin