 MediaWatch / 609
Full Report: The Rev. on NH Radio
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 14:04:53 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

I just had the pleasure and opportunity to listen to the local morning show
interview the Rev. Brendan Powell.  He definitely had me cracking up a number
of times!

My impression from the Rev. is that he handles each interview differently,
based on how it's going.  Some of the highlights [1] from this interview:

-When the Rev. hears God's voice during their "personal correspondence", it is
in a baritone, somewhat akin to one of the singers from N'Sync.

-The Rev's first religious experience was in a Taco Bell, at which time his
burrito burst into flame, and God told him [in said baritone, presumably] to
recreate the Bible in LEGO.

-The announcers went somewhat nutty to discover that the Rev. hearkens from
about 90 miles from here, in Massachusetts.  Various references were made to
the possibility of a prison break in that locale years ago, in which the
escapee, prior to fleeing to California, stopped into a Taco Bell for
refreshment.

-A quick review of the various hairstyles that the Rev. has showcased on his
site

-In a shocked voice: "There's naked people and stuff on here!", or something to
that effect.

-Much to the shock and surprise of the announcers, there were hot springs and
heated water in the days of yore (depicted in the Sodom and Gomorrah[sp?]
story).

-The main interviewer buys LEGO for his kids

-The Rev. gave a quick shout out to yours truly :D

After the interview, the announcers pattered on for a moment more:

Main Interviewer Guy:
"My thoughts - and I am fully aware that this S. Sullivan will probably report
this back to him - is that he's looking to get a piece of cake."

Hmmm, I'm not really hip enough to know exactly where this takes us, but there
you have it.

Of course, the woman on the program, demonstrating more intelligence that the
other two combined, said, without lead-in, "Tongue planted firmly in cheek!"
That very possibility seemed not to have even crossed the minds of the other
two, who met her suggestion with skepticism.

Anyway, I thought it was a great interview.  The Rev. handled himself
perfectly, and I took a great deal of pleasure in the fact that he seemed quite
comfortable keeping the interviewers just barely off-balance, so they never
fully knew what was dead serious, and what was deadpan.

Great Job, Brendan!

-s

[1] Quotes remembered as accurately as I could manage