 MediaWatch / 536
Re: EBay Settles Lawsuit Against BidBay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.market.brickshops
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 14:37:11 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Abner Finley writes:
I wasn't sure what newsroup this should be in.  And yes I know it doesn't
really mention a lot of  LEGO news.   But there is a small report about
www.bricklink.com formally know as www.brickbay.com.

Uh... "formerly". The site formally known as bricklink.com or BrickLink(tm)
was formerly formally known as brickbay.com or BrickBay(tm). :-)

start excerpt:

San Jose-based eBay contended that BidBay copied eBay's look and feel to
attract buyers and sellers. Using the term ``Bay'' in the name was
especially egregious and an improper attempt to trade on eBay's solid
reputation, said Jay Monahan, eBay's associate general counsel.

Solid? At least they didn't say "good"...

Similarly, eBay also recently persuaded Brickbay.com, a site for trading
LEGO building-block toys, to change its name to Bricklink.com, Monahan said.

The fact that this site is cited is significant, I think. It suggests to me
that they haven't been successful at bullying as many sites as we thought if
a small potatoes (in the larger scheme) site like BrickLink is given as one
of his examples.

XFUT market.brickshops