 MediaWatch / 532
531  |  533
Subject:
EBay Settles Lawsuit Against BidBay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 06:43:37 GMT

I wasn't sure what newsroup this should be in.  And yes I know it doesn't
really mention a lot of  LEGO news.   But there is a small report about
www.bricklink.com formally know as www.brickbay.com.

From the business wired.

EBay Settles Lawsuit Against BidBay.

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) - EBay Inc. has settled a trademark-infringement
lawsuit it brought in July against BidBay.com, an upstart Internet auction
site with a similar look and rainbow-colored logo.

BidBay, based in Tujunga, Calif., agreed to change its name to
AuctionDiner.com, design a new logo and pay eBay an undisclosed sum, lawyers
for both companies said Wednesday.

``The fight was becoming too expensive for us,'' BidBay lawyer Barry Sabahat
said.

San Jose-based eBay contended that BidBay copied eBay's look and feel to
attract buyers and sellers. Using the term ``Bay'' in the name was
especially egregious and an improper attempt to trade on eBay's solid
reputation, said Jay Monahan, eBay's associate general counsel.

Similarly, eBay also recently persuaded Brickbay.com, a site for trading
LEGO building-block toys, to change its name to Bricklink.com, Monahan said.

BidBay was started in December 1999 by George Tannous, a former Internal
Revenue Service agent who bought the domain name for $1,000 on eBay.

From inception through last Sept. 30, the company lost $9.1 million on
revenue of $755,000, according to its most recent Securities and Exchange
Commission filing, made in preparation for a possible public sale of stock.
The company withdrew its registration statement with the SEC on Wednesday.

-End of  report-

-Abner
GMLTC.ORG
LUGNET #545