 MediaWatch / 504
Re: Galidor Debuts With A Whimper, Not A Bang
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 03:02:55 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Matthew Gerber writes:
So, the pilot episode of Galidor aired today...since I'm the first person
posting about it, I'll assume that no one else saw it.

I will say this for the show: The production values are vastly superior to
previous Fox Kids live action offerings (the Saban produced Power Rangers
and VR Troopers for example). Everything is new and fresh, and since this is
a new property from the ground up, of course there is no annoying use of old
Japanese show footage.

The effects were standard for kids TV fare though, which is to say fairly
poor. The costumes and props were really well done, so far, and it seems
that LEGO has captured the look of them perfectly.

The official web site has finally progressed beyond the teaser stage
(http://www.galidor.com/) and now offers much more content about the actual
show.  The Action Figures link takes you to LEGO.com and their previously
reported teaser page (http://www.lego.com/galidor/), where more figures are
showing as of today.

Here's a very disturbing fact, however. Not once during the show was there a
commercial for the Galidor line from LEGO...not once! I was flabbergasted!
This does not bode well for the overall success of this venture in my mind.
Not at all.

Frankly, I'm afraid for LEGO at this point. They could easily mishandle
Galidor and tank. Just my opinion, but a fair one I think.

Matt

Ok Matt, I will admit I watched it too. It is badly acted with lots of
special effects. LEGO probably previewed the pilot and decided to save some
money to cover future losses in July by not advertising.

Let's face it, it is no Digimon, currently the only Saturday morning
offering I am loyal to (in its third season that airs two episodes each
Saturday :-). Seriously, I wonder if this new show will survive until July
for LEGO's Galidor release. :-P After all not too many shows survive more
than one season on Fox's Saturday morning line up (Power Rangers :-/ and
Digimon :-) currently).

Jude