 MediaWatch / 2267
Re: Nathan Sawaya in Extreme Makeover: Home Edition
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2007 20:55:35 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Steve Bliss wrote:
In lugnet.mediawatch, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
At 11:28 AM 2/1/07, Kevin Salm wrote:
It sounds totally stupid to me that the world LEGO was not allowed to be used.
I wonder what LEGO company idiot lawyer made that decision??

This may not be a "good" reason, but one reason they may not allow
that is because LEGO has no control over how they are portrayed in the show.

For example, someone could say, "that idiot plays with LEGOs"

While most of us would support the good image LEGO wants to present,
often times TV shows get better ratings when they make people look bad...

Or LEGO didn't want to pay for the advertising...

From what I understand, Steve's reply is most probable. You may notice
throughout the show that all logos on buildings, shirts, tools, and so on are
blurred out. The only exceptions are from companies who pay money to the show to
sponsor it - like Sears and Kenmore. Then you'll be sure to see and hear those
brands.

I don't think it was LEGO's decision at all to not have their brand mentioned,
it was far more likely the show's decision; whether for a legal or monetary
reason is unclear. The show's producers may have an agreement with existing
sponsors not to show other brand names, regardless of whether they're a
competitor or not... thereby enhancing the sponsor's recognition since they
won't have any competition within the show. I'm sure having LEGO in the credits
was a CYA move.

- Kelly