 MediaWatch / 2264
Re: Nathan Sawaya in Extreme Makeover: Home Edition
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2007 16:28:32 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Joe Meno wrote:
   Hi all,

there was an episode of Extreme Makeover on ABC this week that fetaured a family in Raleigh, NC. I was pretty happy to see that since I live there - they were unfortunately filming while I was out of country.

But what was a really neat surprise was that Nathan Sawaya helped out (although he’s not a local as was mentioned on the show:-)) with a LEGO sports room. One funny thing was that they couldn’t use the LEGO name, so they kept on calling the LEGO stuff ‘plastic building blocks.”

You can see an his stuff here and here.

Thanks, Nathan!

Joe Meno

It sounds totally stupid to me that the world LEGO was not allowed to be used. I wonder what LEGO company idiot lawyer made that decision??

I have said this for years -- I see the LEGO group as a company that is more about missed marketing opportunities than anything else. What exactly is the problem in having your corporate name mentioned on a national television show that features your products???? Hello.....?

Whether the LEGO company was a sponsor of the show or not does not really matter now since they declined the use of their corporate or product name within the context of the show. What a way to go, LEGO company -- make sure NOBODY in the world gets to know about your product when it is used on a national television show. What the heck good is brand identity when nobody is allowed to use the word??? It is impossible to promote a brand when lawyers tell you not to mention it by name.

This is just so stupid, I cannot believe the LEGO company is so backwards on this issue. I wonder how much a brand name is worth after the company has gone out of business?? I hope people at LEGO think about that.

.